Lens is a four letter word.

sabbath999

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The word lens is spelled L E N S.

There are only four letters in it.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why this word is so difficult for people to spell.

It is no more complicated than the words "boat, door, moon, food, this, that" and "stop".

It is a bit harder than words like "cat" and "dog" because there is one extra letter. Having said that, it still seems not nearly as bad as words like "camera, strap, strobe" and "flash" since they have more letters in them.

L E N S - there is not an E at the end of it, only the four letters shown. I promise.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Where did that come from anyway? I see it spelled like that all the time!

Actually, both spellings are acceptable and can be found in many dictionaries.

Main Entry: lens
Variant: also lense /'lenz/
Function: noun
1 : a curved piece of glass or plastic used singly or combined in eyeglasses or an optical instrument (as a microscope) for forming an image

"Although the variant spelling “lense” is listed in some dictionaries, the standard spelling for those little disks that focus light is “lens.”

Yer' basically right.

What bothers me is the use of 'lens' for the plural use. It is 'lenses'.

Oh boy, here we go again....must be a slow day.

Bearing in mind that this is a World wide forum, I'm sure there are people on here that type in a second language. So I can live with the odd spelling mistake.

I agree with you that this is a world wide forum, and that to many people English is a second language. Most of these folks who post here regularly, however, spell English words and use English grammar as well if not better than many native speakers.

Hey, I have a question about my new Cannon. Can anybody help?

gahh you know what i hate the most?

when people say they lose something but spell it LOOSE. irks me so much

and it almost always is someone that has english as their primary language

yeah, turn it toward yourself and light the fuse :greenpbl:

Absolutely... is it a smoothbore or rifled? Napoleon 6 or 12 pounder? Parrot or Dahlgren? Mountain howitzer? Brass or cast iron?

What exactly do you need to know?

(Ah, the Civil War Living Historian part of me is smiling)

le·nis
premium.gif
thinsp.png
/ˈli
thinsp.png
nɪs, ˈleɪ-/
Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[lee-nis, ley-]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciationadjective, noun, plural le·nes
premium.gif
thinsp.png
/ˈli
thinsp.png
niz, ˈleɪ-/
Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[lee-neez, ley-]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation. Phonetics
–adjective 1.pronounced with relatively weak muscular tension and breath pressure, resulting in weak sound effect: in stressed or unstressed position, (b, d, g, j, v, th̸, z, and zh) are lenis in English, as compared with (p, t, k, ch, f, th, s, and sh), which are fortis. Compare fortis (def. 1). –noun 2.a lenis consonant.

Next time you see it "Lenes" you have ammunition to fire back with...:gun:

I can forgive the occasional misspelling in that this is a world wide forum and giving the fact that I don't place an additional "u" in words such as colour, labour, etc. I have lived in countries that do and have married one that does. What really pisses me off is when people post and don't have a friggin' clue why the shift key is located on the keyboard. Why can't they capitalize the pronoun "I" or even begin a sentence with a capital letter. Come on, that's something we learned in grade school.

Thanks for allowing me to vent. You should have seen the crap in my Outlook accounts today...and they're supposed to be professionals.

I have absolutely no problem with spelling errors on the internet just as long as their posting does not require a special decoder ring to translate. Its a laid back place... no reason to make people uncomfortable with their spelling or grammatics. I also feel that speaking a single language (English) is a personal weakness of mine so I have a lot of tolerance for those who try their best at the English language

Now... TYPING IN ALL CAPS...
or refusing to use any punctuation
or purposly trying to be different with odd spellings cuz, lenz, phat, gr8t, etc...
or just posts that are difficult to follow because of laziness

is really annoying.

I agree with you that this is a world wide forum, and that to many people English is a second language. Most of these folks who post here regularly, however, spell English words and use English grammar as well if not better than many native speakers.

Agreed. Moreover those who study English as a Second Language most often use English dictionnairies. Britannica and Websters use: lens.
My French/English and German/English dictionaries also use: lens.

skieur

Sorry guys but even though I agree with most of you the use of lense is wrong, it isn't. It's listed in a dictionary as a variant for lens. The thing about the english language is it is based on popular (unpopular) use. Thus when enough people use the spelling lense eventually the dictionaries list it as a variant.

You can't stop this evolution sabbath. Bow down to the mighty "e".

yeah, don't worry too much about a misspelling now and then. Before you know it, people are spelling your posts looking for mistakes..;).

pascal

Most reactions

Back