lens mount stuck!

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
ok, so i tried to be a penny-pincher and purchased a cheap set of alluminum extension tubes. i was quite delighted with the macro capabilities presented to me, but not so delighted to find that the lens mount is now stuck to my lens! i have tried sooo hard to get it off and am scared that if i do much more i'm going to mess up my lens.
i know it's a long shot, but has anyone else had this problem? what do i do?
:(

I've read about this once before in an amazon review and in the end the person had to send the camera back to their manufacturers to get the tubes off. You might try a local camera shop and see if they might be able to remove it.

You might want to send your lens to its manufacturer. You could take it to a local shop but it might void any warranty that the original manufacturer provided. Be prepared to pay for the repairs.

There's a saying we hispanics have that goes "lo barato cuesta caro." Translates pretty much into "what you buy cheap is always more expensive."

this has happened to me. i'm loathed to make suggestions that could damage the lens. i'm trying to think how i sorted it..seem to recall it was one particular tube of the 3-part system of tubes, that didn't get on with the body's mount. maybe as a first step, i connected the other two onto the one that is jammed - somehow the extra weight may have allowed some additional purchase to unlock it. which mount is it BTW? Canon EF?

idea: grip the tube. gently apply twisting force in the mating-direction of the mount..hold that tension and try depressing the tab on the ext.tube. if there was previously a tiny bit of play compromising the locking mechanism, assisting it like this may disengage it.

Can you use some rubber bands to wrap around the extension tube and the lens (separately) and see if that give you enough traction without breaking the lens?

Once you get it off, you may want to apply some graphite to the thread. Or just use a pencil to write on the thread.

Since the OP has kept the mount type a secret I would not recommend any form of force to separate the lens from the tube. In many cases this could cause severe damage to the lens.

My suggestion matches the early replies. Get professional help. Either a service center or a camera specialty store with knowledgeable counter personnel (a rather rare thing these days).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back