Lens Mounts

AlmightyWa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I'm new so please don't hurt me.

Having just decided I will give photography a go, I've bought a cheap camera (which is old). It's a Zenit EM and seems to be working fine for my needs.

The only problem is I want to buy a zoom lens for it, but can't work out which Lens's will fit and which ones won't.

The lens mount claims to be something called an MX41 (or something like that) but I don't seem to be able to find trace of this anywhere.

Does anyone know which lenses should fit this camera? and any recommendations?

Ta

I did a search for you and this page comes up. You might find it interesting.
http://www.rolandandcaroline.co.uk/zenitem/zenitem.html

It uses a 42mm thread known as M42 or Pentax screw. There are lots of these lenses about. They'll all be second hand. Try eBay. You can probably find adaptors which allow you to fit other lenses to your camera. What country do you live in?

edit

And don't forget to show us your photos. :)

We don't want to hurt you ... :twisted:

If I remember my Zenit they used to take the old Pentax screw thread. I think that was MX... I think old Pentacon/Practica screws might fit too.
Doubt if its a Leica - they were quite small.
Feel pretty certain it's Pentax but they had stopped screwing by the end of the 70's.
Shop around but use real second hand photoshops not virtual on-line ones. You'll need to see if the lens fits before you buy.
Good luck

That's handy. Have a look here. :)
www.srbfilm.co.uk
Their price list isn't working right now, but you can still download the catalogue as a pdf. It's a new one.

I don't think they do a M42 to other adaptor. But they do lots of other to M42 adaptors. If you phone them up they may have one in stock (not enough to list in the catalogue etc) or be able to make you one. They may be able to give you some advice to. I can vouch for the company as I've used them a couple of times. Even though it was just for step down rings etc.

Try Jessops then. Their main pro/second hand shop is in Hinckley Road, Leicester - that's about 25-30 miles from you.
But some of their assistants can be dicks.
There are some v good shops around the Tottenham Court Road in London

Dammit Ferny you keep beating me to it. You must have twice as many fingers as me working on that keyboard... :)

An army of smurfs and hobbits. :D
Yeah, try Jessops. Have a look at the used section of the site. Each night the shops upload what second hand stock they have and what condition it is in. They don't list the price but they do list the shops phone number. Give them a ring and ask for info. If you get the item sent to your nearest shop you won't have to pay for the postage either. You'll also be able to look at it in your hands and say if you want it or not. Jessops will give you a 12 month warranty as well. But you will pay for that in the cost of the lens. Second hand stuff from Jessops is expensive. But there are added advantages (the hand holding and warranty). The staff are absolute rubbish at answering the phones.

http://www.jessops.com/used/

I will say that eBay is a good place to get stuff to. That is where I've got all of my old cameras and a couple of lenses. You just have to be sensible and not bid for anything too good to be true, at anything you have a funny feeling about or with any seller who looks dodgy.

Thanks to you both, mutant hands or no, for the advice. Will have a look in Nottingham this weekend and then maybe travel the massive distance to Leicester if needs be.

I would love to show you my photos, but currently I think that maybe a mug taken at different aperture settings may not be the most thrilling material.

When (if) I get better I may give it a go!

Most reactions

Back