Lens on a Budget

Yeah macro is my favorite :) I just don't have the means to buy a pure macro lens, especially when I'm still trying to learn about all aspects of photography. Would you recommend the Sigma over the Tamron?

If you go sigma get the 70-300mm APO = the APO coatings make a big improvement on the lenses sharpness. I dont know how it ranks against the tamron.

I think I'm gonna go with this [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-70-300mm-4-0-5-6-Digital-Cameras/dp/B000EXOXVA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1235287966&sr=8-2]Amazon.com: Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 Di LD Macro Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics[/ame]

Ok, I'll just jump in here, I'm new to this forum, been reading it for a while trying to get information on a lens too. I'm also just a hobby photographer.

Anyway, I settled on the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens after much reading and deliberating. I ordered it from SonicCameras for the great price of $309. Two days later they called for confirmation and tryed to push a similiar sigma lens priced at $449, citing problems with the compatibility of the Rebel XS and the Canon lens. I would not be swayed so a week later they sent me a notice that it was out of stock for at least eight weeks.

Next I ordered it from SLRGenius.com for $369. The confirmation call today informed me that it was a manual focus lens not for digital cameras. Again I was offered the similiar sigma for $599 or the canon 70-300 for digital cameras for $669. LOL

So my point is beware of the bait and switch.

I haven't re-ordered it yet, maybe tomorrow I will start browsing the web again for a more trustworthy vendor.

Ok, I'll just jump in here, I'm new to this forum, been reading it for a while trying to get information on a lens too. I'm also just a hobby photographer.

Anyway, I settled on the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens after much reading and deliberating. I ordered it from SonicCameras for the great price of $309. Two days later they called for confirmation and tryed to push a similiar sigma lens priced at $449, citing problems with the compatibility of the Rebel XS and the Canon lens. I would not be swayed so a week later they sent me a notice that it was out of stock for at least eight weeks.

Next I ordered it from SLRGenius.com for $369. The confirmation call today informed me that it was a manual focus lens not for digital cameras. Again I was offered the similiar sigma for $599 or the canon 70-300 for digital cameras for $669. LOL

So my point is beware of the bait and switch.

I haven't re-ordered it yet, maybe tomorrow I will start browsing the web again for a more trustworthy vendor.

Save yourself the headaches and go to BH Photo, Adorama, Calumet, or Amazon if it ships from their warehouse or Adorama's.

If it's too good to be true than it is. The above mentioned places are going to be your best buys without the bull$hit and there service is top notch!

Thanks, I've been checking BH and Adorama. BH has their's marked as an import, Adorama's is listed as USA, I think twenty dollars more on the USA model.

I ordered... from SonicCameras {fraudulent scammers} for the great price {that they never intended to honor}...

Next I ordered... from SLRGenius.com {fraudulent scammers} for {another great price that they never intended to honor}....

So my point is beware of the bait and switch....
I recommend that you become familiar with Reseller ratings.

Sonic Cameras are scum.

As Uplander suggested, you can save yourself a lot of heartache by ordering from reputable firms like B&H Photo Video, Adorama, Amazon, etc.

One name that comes to mind as occasionally offering exceptionally-cheap deals like the OP found for low-end lenses through Amazon is Cameta Camera, though I have not had personal experience with them. I've had excellent service from B&H and Adorama.

This is the first time I have ran into something so blatantly fraudulent. I've had good luck with TigerDirect and Buydig but their price for this lense was quite a bit higher.

I'll probably go with BH for the lense.

On the ratings for Sonic

So, I ordered the Tamron. I hope I made a good choice.

Thanks guys, I checked Bizrate, pricegrabber and a few more comparison shopping sites.

BH was right there with the rest as far as price, so I chose BH. I was really happy with the shopping and quick service, no confirmation call to try to convince you to buy some add ons. I pick the USA model as opposed to the import, it was an extra twenty bucks but the peace of mind is worth it to me. The shipping was quick, I opt for the $6.95 extra charge for the three day delivery. I put my order in on Monday and I had my lens by Thursday.

Love it!!

On the used market you might be able to find a sigma 400mm 5.6 apo (non zoom)... it's a quality lens and should cost you <$300 in great condition.

Prime telephotos give you MUCH better quality for your $$ then zooms.

The Tamron came in today, and I'm am VERY satisfied with the lens!

Most reactions

Back