lens options for macro-ish stuff

I use my 60mm with the extension tubes all the time.

In Millimeters:

_GA12934.jpg

Fujinon 60mm macro .5 magnification
More comparisons here.

What is with that horrible distortion and the bad edges of the frame? Looks like rubbish for a macro lens...seriously, awful close-range image. The flatness of field looks very poor..or it has atrocious pincushion distortion...one side measures apprx. 10.2mm, the other side 10.1mm approx, and about 9.85mm in the middle of the steel ruler...I mean....there's a lot of pincushioning, so much that it's reallllly obvious, and the ruler's black markings...very thick on the sides, very thin in the center of the ruler. Unless the ruler's lines are really that thick at the sides, and that thin in the center, this is not what a macro lens ought to do at close-up distances...or is there some explanation of why this image does not look like a flat-field lens shot it?

Last edited:
You're right. I never noticed that before. As these were all handheld and not scientific performed ... which could account for some peculiarities ... but there is a lot of bending in the image.

well, thanks to a fellow TPF'er who had one of these for sale, I now have a new-to-me fuji 60mm f2.4 macro lens.
its smaller than i was expecting, being not very much bigger than my 35mm f2.
it focus's a little slower than the 35 f2, buuuuuuut for macro and portrait work it wont be an issue. its not nearly as slow as the 35mm f1.4 was.
im not off until sunday or monday so i wont get to actually test it until then, but im certainly looking forward to it.

20180316_155103.JPG

20180316_155213.JPG

Nice. Be interesting to see the results. And if the tubes make a difference.

tried the fotasy 11mm extension tube with the fuji 60mm macro on the wifes birthday present....natural emeralds with some diamond accents and baguettes set in 14k yellow gold.

this is basically SOOC, only cropped 8x10 to take the sides off with no enlargement of the ring itself.
i honestly have no clue how close the .5 macro paired with an 11mm tube is to a 1:1 macro lens as far as closeness, but i really think this is as close as i need to
get for jewelry shots, even if it isnt 1:1. of course, i havent tried a shot with the 16mm tube yet. might do that next, just for kicks.

_DSF5530.JPG

The problem with a ring like that where it is 3D, where do you focus?
Can you do focus stacking?

Most reactions

Back