Lens question for Nikon D7000

overland

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I bought a Nikon D7000 in part so I could use my older Nikon lenses. But now I wonder. The lens I had most in mind was a 35mm Nikon AF f 2 lens that i used quite a lot for photojournalism with my old Nikon film camera. I loved that it was slightly wide angle and found that feature highly useful. It was also fast enough to use indoors with natural lighting. I used this lens all the time. With my D7000, however, it's not wide angle. So I bought a cheap VR 18-55 zoom. And now I find that with the VR feature I can shoot with this cheap zoom in light conditions as poor as those I used the 35mm lens for. So my question is, is there any reason to use my old 35 mm f2 lens anymore? Second, maybe my original premise was wrong. Maybe I should have bought a D3100 or D5100. Given the quality of the new lenses, maybe I don't need a camera that uses older lenses.

Can the 18-55 shoot at f/2 when set to 35mm?

Can the 18-55 shoot at f/2 when set to 35mm?

No, it can't. And that's why you should use it. Also, it's probably sharper at 35mm than your variable aperture zoom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 18-55 is a f/ 3.5 to 5.6 variable aperture lens
versus the fixed 35 at f/ 2.0

I've found that the large aperture is nice
but the newer VR lenses allow one to improve their image/light capability because the VR allows one to keep the shutter open longer and make sure the image isn't shaking during that extended period.

So I guess you question is more like, at what point does a VR lens equal the fast shutter, larger aperture lens light gathering ability ?

I've always wanted to ask the same question ... if it makes sense

the d7000 has other features you don't get on the 3x00 and 5x00.

The 18-55 is a f/ 3.5 to 5.6 variable aperture lens
versus the fixed 35 at f/ 2.0

I've found that the large aperture is nice
but the newer VR lenses allow one to improve their image/light capability because the VR allows one to keep the shutter open longer and make sure the image isn't shaking during that extended period.

So I guess you question is more like, at what point does a VR lens equal the fast shutter, larger aperture lens light gathering ability ?

I've always wanted to ask the same question ... if it makes sense

the d7000 has other features you don't get on the 3x00 and 5x00.

The VR which allows for longer shutter speeds to compensate for the higher variable aperture becomes useless when attempting to shoot subjects that are moving to any degree. Also, a low f stop produces better subject isolation.

The VR which allows for longer shutter speeds to compensate for the higher variable aperture becomes useless when attempting to shoot subjects that are moving to any degree. Also, a low f stop produces better subject isolation.

Yes I totally agree and understand

But if shooting a stationary object while handholding the camera (which handholding is what I believed the VR mostly assists )
at what point does VR equate to larger apertures ignoring DOF ?

I guess it depends on how dark/dim it is.

it was something I've always wondered about, but never bothered to test myself.
anways all but my kit lens is non-VR .. I've learned how to hold the camera much more steady.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back