Lens question/opinions

twowetdogz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am trying to get back into Wildlife/Landscape Photography after not having been very active with it for a while now.

I've got a Canon EOS (film, not digital) that I am going to be using, atleast for a while yet. Although, I hope to move to digital as well sometime in the not to distant future.

Anyways, I am looking for a new (on a budget - atleast for now) lens.

I am thinking about either:

Sigma Zoom Telephoto 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS
or
Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM Autofocus Lens

And then maybe coupling it with a multiplier.

Just wondering if anybody has used/does use either of these, and has any thoughts/recommendations/suggestions. I have read reviews on various sites, but would like some feedback from you guys as well.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Welcome to the forum.

Either of those lenses are mid to low level, in terms of quality, compared to lenses available for your camera. If that's all that your budget allows, then that will probably have to do. You could couple them with a teleconverter but that will likely cause you to lose auto focus. To keep AF with a teleconverter, you will probably need to use a lens with a max aperture of F2.8.

I've got the Canon 75-300mm III. It's OK when used in good lighting conditions but not so great when the light levels are low.

Unfortunately, good telephoto lenses are really expensive. What's your budget?

Well.....at this point, no more than $500. If you'd have any other recommendations in that range it would be appreciated.

I've seen how expensive some telephotos can be, which was one reason I was thinking about either of those lenses with an extender. It would give me a little more magnification, keeping within my price range.

I could probably live without the zoom when the extender is on if need be. The question that concerns me more is, do you lose much/any quality with the extender on?

I am trying to get back into Wildlife/Landscape Photography after not having been very active with it for a while now.

I've got a Canon EOS (film, not digital) that I am going to be using, atleast for a while yet. Although, I hope to move to digital as well sometime in the not to distant future.

Anyways, I am looking for a new (on a budget - atleast for now) lens.

I am thinking about either:

Sigma Zoom Telephoto 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS
or
Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM Autofocus Lens

And then maybe coupling it with a multiplier.

Just wondering if anybody has used/does use either of these, and has any thoughts/recommendations/suggestions. I have read reviews on various sites, but would like some feedback from you guys as well.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Well, based on your first sentence, you have a decision to make. It's either wildlife or landscape.

The two lenses you have listed are not going to do you any good for landscape photography (they are not wide enough), and they are going to be marginal, at best, for good wildlife photography....especially if you throw a teleconverter on them.

My best advice, based on your budget, would be to go with landscape for now. Some pretty good wide angle lenses can be had within your price range, then save up for a bit better choice in larger lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back