lens question

joeyp2003

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Currently using a d5000- have the 18-55 VR lens, looking to make a purchase for the holiday and I really love the 35mm 1.8, its gotten good reviews. My question is: What would the purpose of it be? If i have that 35mm covered on the 18-55mm. Is there a purpose I obviously dont understand ALL the numbers, I'm a noob so take it easy. We already also have the 55-200 in the family so this would be a 3rd lens.

the f/1.8 helps a lot. In the Canon world the 50mm f/1.8 is one of the first lenses most people buy because it's insanely cheap (less than $100 usually) and has pretty fantastic quality for the price.

The point is that with large aperture lenses (which that is) you can capture more light and have a very small depth of field. Capturing more light means you can get pictures in spots that normally you'd need a flash for. Making a very small depth of field means you can take very artistic shots you couldn't take without it.

haha I was going to buy it anyway, but the extra advice helps. thanks a lot- I appreciate the extra help, I havent read a lot of negative about it and the price makes it a nice little gift christmas

The Nikon AF 50 mm f/1.8D lens, being an AF not an AF-S lens, doesn't have an auto focus motor in it and will only manual focus on your D5000.

It is a CPU lens, so it will send distance information to the camera so the camera can light the viewfinder in-focus indicator when focus has been achieved.

And isn't a 50 mm.

It seems a lot of people seem to think of a 35 mm and a 50 mm as interchangeable.

They aren't.

If they want/need a 50 mm that can auto focus on a baby Nikon, they need the AF-S 50 mm f/1.4G, not the AF-S 35 mm f/1.8G.

If cost is the main consideration, that's a different story.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back