Lens Question

canonbraden

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I shot with the 17-40 f/4 L lens over the weekend and fell in love with it. I'm wondering if it would be a good portrait lens? Obviously I wouldn't be shooting wide open at 17, but if I shot zoomed in to 40mm how would it be? I've heard problems with people having their pictures distorted when they shoot really wide open.

I would also be using the lens for landscape. How would it be compared to the 24-105 f/4 L? They are both in my price range and I'd love to have either one of them.

Thanks all.

If you're going to shoot portraits with it, I'd go for the 24-105. The shorter focal lengths of the 17-40 will make portraits more difficult than they have to be.

Are you shooting with a full frame or a crop sensor camera?

Crop sensor, I have the T3 but my next upgrade will be the 6D and that won't be for a while.

If you are going to get the 6D, I'd hold off until you can afford the 6D kit with the 24-105 f/4L. It would save you money in the long run, and the 24-105 is a much more versatile lens, and far better for portraiture. You could look at a fast prime in the meantime, something like the 50mm f/1.8. They're cheap (>$100 used) and very useful. I know many people (with deeper pockets than I have) prefer the 50 1.4 or 1.2, which are slightly better optically, but the 1.4 is three times the price of the 1.8, and the 1.2 is four times the price of the 1.4. Pretty good deal for a pretty useful lens. Just my two cents.

I have the 6D with 24-105 L lens... BEST INVESTMENT EVER.

I use a EFS 17-85 on my 20D. GREAT lens for all around shooting and very affordable. I have done weddings, landscape and portraiture photography with this lens with a lot of success. Even with the 5.6 at full focal length it still creates great DOF. The widest at 17mm does warp a little but only a little. For the money its a great lens.

+1 for the 24-105 f/4L.

And I would also say to hold off until you can get the 6D w/ 24-104 kit...much better value. If you watch B&H you can get a great deal. Example, I waited until Canon offered a $200 rebate on the kit which made the 6D w/ 24-104 $2399 and then on top of that B&H threw in a camera bag, 16gb class 10 SD card, an Oben monopod, and an extra battery which was all valued at aprox. $150. Helluva deal! :thumbup:

Also this topic and many others are subjective so one may say using prime lenses are the way to go and others might say using fast zooms like the 24-70 f/2.8 and the 70-200 f/2.8 combo are the way to go. I say rent the lenses you are looking at and find out what works for you.

If you are going to get the 6D, I'd hold off until you can afford the 6D kit with the 24-105 f/4L. It would save you money in the long run, and the 24-105 is a much more versatile lens, and far better for portraiture. You could look at a fast prime in the meantime, something like the 50mm f/1.8. They're cheap (>$100 used) and very useful. I know many people (with deeper pockets than I have) prefer the 50 1.4 or 1.2, which are slightly better optically, but the 1.4 is three times the price of the 1.8, and the 1.2 is four times the price of the 1.4. Pretty good deal for a pretty useful lens. Just my two cents.

That's what I plan on doing now. I have the 50mm 1.8 and love it

+1 for the 24-105 f/4L.

And I would also say to hold off until you can get the 6D w/ 24-104 kit...much better value. If you watch B&H you can get a great deal. Example, I waited until Canon offered a $200 rebate on the kit which made the 6D w/ 24-104 $2399 and then on top of that B&H threw in a camera bag, 16gb class 10 SD card, an Oben monopod, and an extra battery which was all valued at aprox. $150. Helluva deal! :thumbup:

Also this topic and many others are subjective so one may say using prime lenses are the way to go and others might say using fast zooms like the 24-70 f/2.8 and the 70-200 f/2.8 combo are the way to go. I say rent the lenses you are looking at and find out what works for you.

Damn that's a great deal. I'll be saving up for a while, and I'll keep my eye on B&H. Thanks everyone for all the feedback, I'll be investing in the 6D bundle with the 24-105 lens:)

You won't be disappointed. I have the 24-105 f/4L. I use it for 95% of all my shooting. Mounted to a 5D Mark 1. You'll love the full frame for landscapes too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back