Lens questions (Canon) Low light, Modeling.

Goremonger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm sure you get this 1000 times over on this board and I'm sorry to have to ask the question again but here goes.

Recently I purchased a Canon 50D body to replace my 20D (50D's are popping up all over craigs list since everyone is running out to get the 60d... eh) Anyway I shoot a lot of live concerts. And not concerts in the sense where there is nice lighting and a photo pit or barricade. Normally I'm in a cramped basement sardined in with 100 other sweaty attendees, poor lighting, bad sound, the whole 9 yards. Lately I've been shooting with a 50mm 1.8 fixed lens, and while this provides some nice shots when your in a photo pit.. not so much when your practically on top of the band.

I try not to use a flash, and in some places it not allowed So I need to find a lens that I will be able to use in very low light possibly without a flash. I was really looking into pick up the Kit lens that comes with the 50D (EF 28-135 3.5-5.6) but I'm pretty sure that is not going to open wide enough for low light situations, but it has the range I really need.

I'm also starting out with some portrait work and modeling photography. And would like to know a good started lens for that as well.

My budget at the moment is pretty meager, I don't really want to spend more than $500.00 on a new lens at the moment, any suggestions or pointers from those who know a lot more about this than me would be greatly welcome.

-Christopher

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure where your level of knowledge about this stuff is at...so I'll start slow ;)

A lens's ability to gather light, is determined by it's aperture. The bigger the aperture, the more light it can gather. The aperture is represented by a ratio to 1, which gives us the F-number. Because it's a ratio, the lower the number, the bigger the aperture.

So your F1.8 lens has a very wide maximum aperture, and the 18-135mm lens you mentioned, has a smaller max aperture at only F3.5 to F5.6 (it varies with the zoom).

There are some lenses with a larger max aperture than your 50mm F1.8, but not many. There is a Canon 50mm F1.4, which is a great lens and not too expensive at $350. There is a Canon 50mm F1.2, but it's close to $2000, if I remember correctly.

You probably won't find a zoom lens with a maximum aperture smaller than F2.8, and even those are the expensive ones. So if you want a zoom lens, you will have to compromise on the maximum aperture, compared to most prime (non-zoom) lenses.

If you do want a zoom, I'd suggest the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8. It's about $500 and has pretty good image quality and a max aperture of F2.8 throughout the whole zoom range.

If you want something longer than your 50mm, the Canon 85mm F1.8 is a pretty good lens that will fit your budget with room to spare. This would also be a great lens for portraits & models etc.

For shooting in low light situations, you will quickly reach the limits of most lenses....so the next option (besides using a longer shutter speed) is to turn up the ISO. Your new 50D will be a lot better than your old 20D...so don't be afraid to turn it up to ISO 800, 1600 or even 3200 when needed. Just be sure to nail your exposure, because if you have to lighten the images in post, the noise/grain will really come out.

Thanks, I will look into the Tamron 17-50mm, again i think the 85mm would put me right back at the problem where I'm standing 3 feet from the band without anywhere to move, I love the photos I get with fixed lenses but in a basement show situation their not usually an option since there is usually zero move around room, and you usually take the spot you can get and stay there for the duration of the show.

At one point I was looking into a Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 but then i borrowed my cousins for a weekend shoot and everything I got with it came out very blurry, Also keep in mind the bands I do photos for run along the lines up, Punk, Hardcore, Metal, Ska and Psychobilly. Most of the times these guys are all over the stage (or floor) and hardly ever in a stationary position.

So is this blurryness due to lens and the fast movement, or do I not have my setting adjusted correctly? (I'm sure I don't now since I'm learning a new Camera's interface.)

Thanks, I will look into the Tamron 17-50mm, again i think the 85mm would put me right back at the problem where I'm standing 3 feet from the band without anywhere to move, I love the photos I get with fixed lenses but in a basement show situation their not usually an option since there is usually zero move around room, and you usually take the spot you can get and stay there for the duration of the show.

At one point I was looking into a Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 but then i borrowed my cousins for a weekend shoot and everything I got with it came out very blurry, Also keep in mind the bands I do photos for run along the lines up, Punk, Hardcore, Metal, Ska and Psychobilly. Most of the times these guys are all over the stage (or floor) and hardly ever in a stationary position.

So is this blurryness due to lens and the fast movement, or do I not have my setting adjusted correctly? (I'm sure I don't now since I'm learning a new Camera's interface.)

Really?

I shoot with a 60D with a Canon 24-70 f/2.8 and it works great. I do the same sort of photography as you. Its probably not due to the lens, its probably due to you moving it. Any little vibration can cause it to blur, and check your settings.

I'm thinking its your settings.

I'll post some of my pictures later from the shows (concerts) that I do to provide an example. Mind you, the color is a little bit off (under exposed). But I know how to correct that now.

What are you using for a flash when you use the 24-70?

You need a flash, especially if there is horrible available light. Do people really care if you you're using a flash in a basement? I've done some coverage for friends at bars, and they don't mind the flash. If anything it makes it look more like a real show.

I have a 50D and the ISO above 1000 is way too noisy for my taste.

Fast wide primes are about all I would honestly recommend. If you're having problems at f/1.8, going with a lens that has a smaller widest maximum aperture is not going to help.

You also need to keep your shutter speed up, so the 1/focal length shutter speed rule goes out the window for photography. Sure, with a 24mm lens, you can get clean shots with a shutter speed faster than 1/40, but 1/40 will not stop motion blur; this is especially important if you have a very active band.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back