Lens Questions

kirbym2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Everyone,

I've been really trying to decide on a lens that has some reach (on my D7000). The tele-zooms just don't seem in the budget right now. I've settled in on the 85-105mm range. I made a quick decision to purchase a Nikon 85mm 3.5 DX Macro Lens. I made the decision based on the macro ability of the lens, in addition to being able to use the lens for portraits and general use.

Now I'm having a little buyers remorse and really thinking that longer term maybe I should have gone with the Nikon 85mm 1.8. My budget won't allow for the 1.4.

Anybody have any thoughts? I do like macro photography, but I don't know that I'll be doing close up shots all the time. I would prefer something more suited to portrait and general use.

I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks all!

Mike

If you only purchased the body, why not consider the 18-105mm kit lens (unless you got a bundle of course) for general use? Downside really is it is relatively expensive if not purchased as a bundle at $399. Also, any of the common primes should work well (35mm, 50mm, 85mm 1.8 - haven't had the chance yet to use the last one yet but it has decent reviews and you also mentioned it). Lastly consider selling your 85mm macro so you can have additional funds. Also try to look for used ones in KEH. You may be able to get a good deal on better glass that I mentioned. Just my two cents...:)

Most reactions

Back