Lens Recommendation

rcagar7

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone, long time reader, first time poster.

Ive just upgraded to the D600 and am looking to purchase a new lens. I have a 50mm f1.8, 90mm f2.8, 70-300VR and also the kit lens that came with my D60. I am looking to add a wide(r) angle lens as I enjoy landscape/architecture/automotive photography. I was thinking maybe a 28 or 35mm prime, or perhaps the older 35-70mm f2.8 (which you can get used for around $350) which is the predecessor to the 24-70 f2.8 (costs ~$1700). Which do you recommend? Other options would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

For landscape/architecture/automotive photography would consider wider and zoom wouldn't be out of line for that kind of shooting.
Tokina 11-16 f2.8,Nikon 10-24,Sigma 10-20.

Tokina 16-28 2.8 -- I've read some nice reviews on it. If not, Nikon 16-35 f4 or 14-24 2.8, maybe. Depends on the budget really.

For landscape/architecture/automotive photography would consider wider and zoom wouldn't be out of line for that kind of shooting.
Tokina 11-16 f2.8,Nikon 10-24,Sigma 10-20.

D600 is full frame, so OP needs a high quality full frame lens to fully capitalise on his new toy.

Could be worth looking at Nikon's 28 - 70 which was the direct predecessor to the 24 - 70 or look at third party 24 -70 lenses either Sigma or Tamron. The alternative is to pick up a couple of primes like 24mm 28 and 35. Many of the D lenses are good and sharp and cheaper than the G. They won't have the nano coatings so will be more vulnerable to ghosting and flare.

ETA: Of course the 14 - 24 and 24 - 70 are excellent lenses are excellent (I have both) but these are a major investment, and even used, good copies hold their value very well.

Thank you all very much for your recommendations. Ideally, I'd not like to spend more then $500. What are your thoughts on the D600's kit lens (24-85VR f3.5). I could have bought it with the D600, but I thought I'd put in some research and look at some other options. However, I'm starting to think that I should have just got it!

Right now I think Ive narrowed it down to this:

-Zoom lens, not prime

Zoom Options:
35-70 f2.8 .....old but a good lens?
28-70..... as suggested by thereyougo! however, not looking to spend that much $$
24-70 Sigma or Tamron
24-85VR f3.5.... the D600's kit lens option

If it were me, I'd get the 24-85VR f/3.5-4.5. I think it might be a little over your budget but from what I've read, they are really fine.

Thank you all very much for your recommendations. Ideally, I'd not like to spend more then $500. What are your thoughts on the D600's kit lens (24-85VR f3.5). I could have bought it with the D600, but I thought I'd put in some research and look at some other options. However, I'm starting to think that I should have just got it!

Right now I think Ive narrowed it down to this:

-Zoom lens, not prime

Zoom Options:
35-70 f2.8 .....old but a good lens?
28-70..... as suggested by thereyougo! however, not looking to spend that much $$
24-70 Sigma or Tamron
24-85VR f3.5.... the D600's kit lens option

The Tamron will very likely be beyond your budget but the Sigma within it. I'm new to Nikon so can't speak for the 24 - 85 as haven't seen many positive reviews for it. If it's all you can afford then it's a start while you save up for something better. I can't speak for the 24 - 70 Sigma as on my Canons I've used the Canon L lens. The Tamron is pretty sharp and weighty, although has an 82mm circumfrance so filters will be more challenging to fins and more expensive.

Looks like you're between the Sigma 24 - 70 the nik 35 - 70 and the 24 - 85. Not sure you will find the 35 quite wide enough and the mm are more valuable at the wide end than the tele end, so you will miss the 7 - 11mm at the wide end more than you will miss the up to 15mm at the tele. Remember you can crop in but not out. Go and try out the Sigma with the D600. You do need good lenses on FF as poor lenses will show very soft at wide apertures especially at the wide end. Nearly all wide angle zooms willl have some distortion at 24 - 28mm as well as CA's. Good Luck.

I have the sigma 24-70mm f 2.8 and I'm generally happy with it, but I would give it a rating of 3 out of 5.

Upside is: it'll be something like half the price of the nikon version, and it will take "good enough" pictures. And it's possible to get some great pictures from it

Downside is it has some issues. For instance, you can get lens flare even with a hood and not shooting anywhere near the sun. You may also see some vignetting and softness. Also at its widest point you'll get a nice black spot in the corner of your photos from the uv filter

Most reactions

Back