Lens recommendations?

picturethis1984

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I've volunteered to be a photographer for a tattoo expo this weekend but I only have one lens(18-105VR) to shoot with my D7000. Does anyone have any suggestions on another lens I should buy for the event? Thank you.

some kind of prime would probably be smart, either the 35mm 1.8 or the 50mm 1.8

I was considering a prime lens but was unsure which one I wanted. I was also looking into a wide angle lens or fisheye...

your lens should do just fine - never buy equipment for a single job is my opinion especially a non-paying one at that - why do you think you need another lens is a very important question to be answered as well as what would a fish-eye lens be needed for such a job?

is the expo inside or outside, if inside what is the lighting like etc. aside from this job do you feel your lacking a lens and if so why etc your questions are really multifaceted IMHO ..... besides learning a new lens on the job site is foolish in my book !

Hope this helps and gets you thinking good luck

wow, a few good questions i failed to realize. I've already thought about the whole spending money on an unpaid gig but I'm also wanting to turn this hobby into a small business, so the extra lens would help. I was wanting more lens for the expo to broaden my options in my photos, such as capturing whole crowd pictures and such. The expo is an inside event with plenty of lighting, but I'll have a speed light with me so I'm not worried there. But,I also agree with your point about learning a lens on the day of the event would be foolish but may still consider getting one and seeing how it goes....thank you

wow, a few good questions i failed to realize. I've already thought about the whole spending money on an unpaid gig but I'm also wanting to turn this hobby into a small business, so the extra lens would help. I was wanting more lens for the expo to broaden my options in my photos, such as capturing whole crowd pictures and such. The expo is an inside event with plenty of lighting, but I'll have a speed light with me so I'm not worried there. But,I also agree with your point about learning a lens on the day of the event would be foolish but may still consider getting one and seeing how it goes....thank you

Words from a beginner, so take them with a grain of salt: Consider a fast zoom lens (f2.8 constant), or an f1.8 prime lens (as mentioned above, 35 or 50mm would be good). I keep looking at the 17-55/17-50mm f2.8 lens options for a crop sensor camera... just a thought, since it'll offer you that flexibility. If you are going to enjoy the lens for personal use, plus use it in the future, then hey... why not?

Your zoom alongside a speedlight makes a lot of sense though. Again, grain of salt, I'm new... Just felt like chiming in.

Most reactions

Back