lens rental

pjaye

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hopefully, I picked the right lens. A friends is taking me to hopefully shoot somes snowy's this weekend. Now, I'm fully aware that mine will never look like Bill, MSnowy or Zombiesniper. but I have to try.

I rented a 70-200mm f/2.8 G AF-S IF ED VR II Nikon lens for the weekend. Mostly for the beautiful bokeh.

Since I've only ever photographed them twice, any suggestions?

Last edited:
At 200mm it's going to be tough-very tough. A lot of times 600mm isn't enough and I'll still have to crop significantly, did you already rent the lens? If you haven't, I would suggest renting something with a bit more reach

Should have went for more reach.Sigma or tamron 150-600 or Nikon 200-500 etc.

A friends is taking me to hopefully shoot somes snowy's this weekend.

You didn't tell me you were coming up!

The 70-200 can be tight but it depends on the bird. The below pics show how close you could get. My lens is an F4 so you'll get better light than I did.
I park about 100' away then approach slowly, always watching so I don't stress the bird out. If it starts to move I stand still not looking directly at the bird but watching in case it takes off.
Sometimes you only get within 50-75' like in the first pic.
I know the second snowy and as you can see it is quite used to me as well and I know I can get within 20' and it doesn't mind.
Good luck!

Snowy200mm1 by seastud, on Flickr

Snowy200mm by seastud, on Flickr

99% is being in the right place at the right time. Make sure you ready when you get your chance. I had days where I can't get with 150ft and they fly away and other days when they've landed with in 15 ft of me and have stayed there for hours. This was taken with 70-200 vrii w/ D7100. heavy crop. Good luck and enjoy the adventure.

i-Q6f5xK7-L.jpg

I know the lens doesn't give me much reach. And I really considered renting the longer lens. However, I'm going to an area where I actually won't need that much reach. There have been 18 snowys reported in a very small area. I also have issues with not having a tripod anymore for the longer lens (lost that too in the breakup) and having some arm issues meaning I can't hold the longer lens.

I will be ready and have everything set before we get there. If I find that I did need more reach, I'll rent the longer lens second time around when I finally get my tripod replaced.

99% is being in the right place at the right time. Make sure you ready when you get your chance. I had days where I can't get with 150ft and they fly away and other days when they've landed with in 15 ft of me and have stayed there for hours. This was taken with 70-200 vrii w/ D7100. heavy crop. Good luck and enjoy the adventure.

i-Q6f5xK7-L.jpg

I'm making sure I'm prepared before we get there. The reports are some of these owls have no issues with people being close by so keeping my fingers crossed. Even if I don't get one, this is a lens I'd really like to own someday so getting a chance to try it before buying will be good.

Just notified that lens is on it's way, so can't change it. :( Hopefully, it will allow me to get at least some pictures. I am trying to post a picture the friend took of a snowy with his cellphone to show how "un skittish" they are, but it won't let me.

At 200mm it's going to be tough-very tough. A lot of times 600mm isn't enough and I'll still have to crop significantly, did you already rent the lens? If you haven't, I would suggest renting something with a bit more reach

Should have went for more reach.Sigma or tamron 150-600 or Nikon 200-500 etc.
I will try this one and maybe rent the longer one next time. Really need to get a tripod.

Most reactions

Back