Lens Rentals

I can't speak for everyone, but I think it's safe to say most people don't have thousands just laying around, to purchase top quality glass, on the notion they'll be able to recoup the money after their use.

I've been posting this advice a lot on this form, but I don't see the point of lens rentals.

If you buy quality used equipment the depreciation over a couple weeks is ZERO. If you want a used lens temporarily just sell it when your done with it, you'll end up spending far less then if you rented it. And if you end up really liking the lens you aren't out the rental costs.

LOL um well about 400 for a week with premium glass and only 400 cost to me fully insured sans a drop in the water. Unless its the SEa camera then its made for the water lol.
or lets see..

$7000 out of pocket and maybe a resell value.

I don't have 7k-8k sitting around to buy glass. I do have 300-500 to rent glass for a week in Hawaii.

Depending on the results I can make the money back from sales of the images. I cane make 400 way easier than 7000.

Maybe for some renting is not a good option but for others it is.

I've been posting this advice a lot on this form, but I don't see the point of lens rentals.

If you buy quality used equipment the depreciation over a couple weeks is ZERO. If you want a used lens temporarily just sell it when your done with it, you'll end up spending far less then if you rented it. And if you end up really liking the lens you aren't out the rental costs.

LOL um well about 400 for a week with premium glass and only 400 cost to me fully insured sans a drop in the water. Unless its the SEa camera then its made for the water lol.
or lets see..

I don't have 7k-8k sitting around to buy glass. I do have 300-500 to rent glass for a week in Hawaii.

Depending on the results I can make the money back from sales of the images. I cane make 400 way easier than 7000.

There is only one reason to rent something with high-resale value = you don't have the capital to invest.

There is only one reason to rent something with high-resale value = you don't have the capital to invest.

I do have the capital and rather than chunk out over 7K for glass.
I can spend 400 and build a large portfolio. I can in turn make 400 off those images much easier than I can make 7k. I don't really feel like investing that kind of money. While I do have the capital, I don't feel using A CC is considered good business. I have owned my own business for the last 4 1/2 years and have very good profit margins, so I do understand what is and isn't good business. Please don't waste everybody's times with our opinion on renting. If you don't like it then great. Your post have absolutely no value to this thread.

"Your post have absolutely no value to this thread"

arrogant much? your opinion is not the only valid point of view, and it's not for you to judge whether someone else's thoughts are valid. if they don't agree with yours, that's fine, get over yourself and move on.

I just rented a Canon 100-400 IS L from "Rentglass.com" and I ordered it yesterday - arrived 1:00 today - and - was about $25 cheaper then Lensrentals.com...

Haven't had a chance to play yet, but that thing is a monster !! - I'm off to the Harley dealership to get a Motorcycle Chain to use as a NeckStrap for it !!

Anyway - I did a lot of research and found that Rentglass was about the cheapest ...

r

This is really terrible advise. Lenses are plentiful right now and there is no way you won't lose out big time trying to re-sell $6000 - $7000 worth of lenses. Plus the hassle of trying to do so.

besides, although the depreciation may be almost zero, it partially depends on where you plan to resell everything. If you do it on ebay you're looking at losing 6-7 percent between ebay and paypal fees, if you just used forums so you didn't need ebay you'd still be looking at 3% loss (for fees). And of course there is the time invested in buying the glass, and the time invested in selling the glass. It's somewhat risky, and you could easily lose more than you would have by just renting the glass.

Often buying the glass does make sense, if it's something you will be using frequently and you want to keep it for a long period of time. For example, if I go out and buy L glass, and then decide to sell it in 5-10 years, I will not have lost very much of the resell value, as long as I kept it in relatively good condition. Here I would be saving a great deal by buying. But if it's equipment I just want to try, or will only need for certain circumstances, then renting may quite possibly be the best idea.

arrogant much? your opinion is not the only valid point of view, and it's not for you to judge whether someone else's thoughts are valid. if they don't agree with yours, that's fine, get over yourself and move on.

Absolutely I am. I posted this thread to get advise from people who have rented glass. I did not post it for someone to go off on how renting glass is the wrong way to go. Renting is way easier and fits what I want to do. SO yes I am arrogant and those post do not have an value to this thread.

Does Rentglass charge a deposit on the lenses? Lens rentals does not.

besides, although the depreciation may be almost zero, it partially depends on where you plan to resell everything. If you do it on ebay you're looking at losing 6-7 percent between ebay and paypal fees, if you just used forums so you didn't need ebay you'd still be looking at 3% loss (for fees). And of course there is the time invested in buying the glass, and the time invested in selling the glass. It's somewhat risky, and you could easily lose more than you would have by just renting the glass.

Often buying the glass does make sense, if it's something you will be using frequently and you want to keep it for a long period of time. For example, if I go out and buy L glass, and then decide to sell it in 5-10 years, I will not have lost very much of the resell value, as long as I kept it in relatively good condition. Here I would be saving a great deal by buying. But if it's equipment I just want to try, or will only need for certain circumstances, then renting may quite possibly be the best idea.

Ebay would be 8.25 plus paypals 3.1......It would add up quick.

or lets see..

You two are irritating.
He posted a thread about his upcoming trip and the glass he will be renting to capture some memories. Then you two yahoo's come in here and take this a completely different direction. This thread isn't the place for investment advice, or assumption on the OP's financial status.

squirl, Your post has absolutely no value to this thread. The OP created a thread to seek advise about a company his is considering renting equipment from, not whether or not his decision to rent makes a good business or financial decision. Therefore taking this thread in a direction that both make no sense, and are a bit inflammatory, are both unnecessary and rude.

No, it doesn't ....

Canon EF 100-400mm F/4.5 L IS - $49.00 and
Canon Extender 1.4 - $17.00
Damage Waiver $ 4.95

Shipping was about $38 for 2 day, but I paid $55 for next day.. Paid a total of $126 for both lenses for a week, and got them the next day..

Pretty good prices ... Got the lens and went out today and had a ball !!! Shot over 350 photos this morning - now I'm culling thru and picking the best....

With what you would have paid to buy the lenses, plus sales tax if there is any, then the hassle of listing and reselling, paying all of those PayPal and eBay fees, no way would you recover all of your $$ anyway, so you will lose something anyway no matter what you do.

Renting will limit your expense, and you will know up front what it will be.

And if you could find some way to sell some of those shots and turn the trip into a professional gig, maybe you could write-off some or all of the cost of the lens rental as a business expense.

All I am trying to say is that renting might not be such a bad idea if you make it work to your advantage.

Just a thought...

Last edited:
All this talk of investing..... I feel like I am at work!!! sheesh......
I am going to talk with rent glass as well. I like that you have a personal experience with them. What's the damage waiver.I know lens rentals has a insurance you can buy. I did notice lensrentals seems to have more lenses available than rent glass.

So all they did was bill you for the rent cost. I knew a local place back in OKC that would charge the price of the lens and then refund less the rent cost. I liked the fact that I did not have to fork out a couple grand just to rent them.

And um is one week consider 5 days or a full 7 days with rent glass?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back