lens repair question

photosoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,
Dropped camera. broke mount piece on back of lens. 55-200 nikon vr lens. worth repairing? I actually bought the mount ring piece but there is a tiny, tiny piece of wire to solder I don't think i can fix. Anyone know of any good repair companies that are REASONABLE on prices... or should I just start saving for a new camera?

thanks for any suggestions

you can look around locally to see if you can get it repaired for under $50 but are you sure there's no other damage? Perhaps it's time to upgrade! ;)

you can look around locally to see if you can get it repaired for under $50 but are you sure there's no other damage? Perhaps it's time to upgrade! ;)

bigthumb.gif

bigthumb.gif
I'm gonna go with this too. $135 seems to be Nikon's base price for repair work, so, including shipping, I would guess you'll likely be into it for $150 minimum. You can buy the lens used for that or less. IMO, it's probably not worth it.

I've practiced and learned quite a bit the past couple years with my d40 but I do find myself wanting better performance in low light and also wish it had more focus points... been looking at the nikon d7000 and d90.

Find yourself a geek to solder it on for you :)

A friend of mine had the same problem. The repair center wanted some $120 for the repair and in the end he spent a whole $12 and got the lens back together. You'd be surprised how many people own soldering irons.

Find yourself a geek to solder it on for you :)

A friend of mine had the same problem. The repair center wanted some $120 for the repair and in the end he spent a whole $12 and got the lens back together. You'd be surprised how many people own soldering irons.

true, it really sucks because its not that big of a repair. I took the broken mount piece off I'm just not certain I can get back together (I also fear I might have lost a tiny screw).

Since you don't show your location in your profile, it's hard to recommend a shop.

Nor do you define what you consider a reasonable price to pay for repairing your ****up.

Since you don't show your location in your profile, it's hard to recommend a shop.

Nor do you define what you consider a reasonable price to pay for repairing your ****up.

hmm, yeah I guess there is no repair shops that have online business. But since I'm not aware of any local repair shops that can fix my **** up, maybe you can recommend a someone around the Boone NC area that can assist with my **** up lens. And I would not pay more than 75.00 for a repair for this lens. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my ****ed up problem, I will be looking forward to your response.

My camera shop does repairs, and we take them in from all over, but I doubt that you'll be looking at less that $100 for shipping + someone fixing your ****up. You can't be losing screws before you actually get it shipped out for repair...

I would say fix it yourself if possible, buy a $15 soldering iron and do it, or just buy a new kit and be happy. The D7000 is the way to go right now, until they announce the next set of Nikons later this year.

Good luck.

My camera shop does repairs, and we take them in from all over, but I doubt that you'll be looking at less that $100 for shipping + someone fixing your ****up. You can't be losing screws before you actually get it shipped out for repair...

I would say fix it yourself if possible, buy a $15 soldering iron and do it, or just buy a new kit and be happy. The D7000 is the way to go right now, until they announce the next set of Nikons later this year.

Good luck.

ok thanks

Most reactions

Back