Lens repairs cost?

Anjouri123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I understand different lenses and different problems vary widely. However, my certain problem is widely-known and a easy repair. I am just attempting to get a rough idea no matter if or not it is worth the $15 to ship it to Canon for the estimate. Do basic repairs run in the estimated of $100 or $300?

It is a 50MM f1.4 that won't AF or MF. Because it won't MF, the motor is possibly not the problem. Not to point out it probably has no longer that 20 hours total usage before failing. The target ring just spins - most likely that well-documented helical focus issue.

A local LCS will fix in house for $125-$150, but I would rather have Canon do it if in the exact same price range. But paying canon $250 to fix a $299 lens do not make sense. Any help appreciated.

(I have already the tutorials and videos on this issue, but have decided I do not want to handle the job myself. Thanks.)

Only think I can recommended since I don't have experience with lens repair. Call canon and ask for a base quote on the phone before you send it. Also if you send it in they probably won't fix it until they send you a quote and approve the work. Sounds like it might not be worth fixing though IMO.

Canon doesn't warranty new lenses?

If I remember correctly when I bought my 50mm 1.4 brand new it had a 1 year warranty. If I wanted longer I had to pay for it. Something the OP can keep in mind. Good point

Most reactions

New Topics

Back