Lens Reversal - Yay or nay?

Foxie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is reversing your lens using a reversal ring worth looking into when it comes to close-up photography or not? Thanks in advance.

It will do the job, but I don't like them for two reasons: (1) You lose all of your exposure controls, and (2) more importantly, the filter threads on the front of your lens are designed to support the weight of a filter, NOT the whole lens. If you're using something like a 50mm 1.8, it would likely be fine, but if you're using a longer prime or zoom, I would go another route. As well, there's the fact that the rear element of your lens and all of the contacts/linkages are exposed.

I would suggest heading over to eBay or one of the major on-line retailers and buying a set of Kenko extension tubes. A little more money (~$120), but they will give you a LOT more flexibility, preserve your automatic functions and IMO, represent MUCH less risk of damaging your camera.

Many thanks for a very detailed reply, Tirediron. Must say I also had my reservations about the filter thread on the lens carrying the weight of the lens. I have opted for a set of Kenkos with contacts.

For as long as you only want to play with closest close-up photos, it might be an ok thing to do (I have always only done it by HOLDING the reversed lens to the camera, I've never even considered attaching it to it in any manner, mind you), but if you want to truly delve into macro photography, you'll very soon (within taking the first couple of pics!) notice all the limitations this method gives you.

But for a few first tests (and the surprise at how close you can get in that way!) it is yay. Anything further? Nay.

Most reactions

Back