Lens Reversing Ring/Lens coupling rings for macro

Bobby Ironsights

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Lens Reversing Ring / Lens coupling rings for Extreme macro

I've seen these advertised with some rather nice demo shots.

Do these work? or are they simply a marketing gimmick.

Basic physics seems correct.

Lens reversing creates three problems. The first is working distance. Depending on the focal length and focal point it is possible to have negative working distances. A reversed lens focuses really, really closely.

The second problem is speed. Remember it is the front element of the lens that determines the maximum aperture. With a reversed lens the smaller rear element determines it. It makes for a fairly dark viewfinder and fewer options for depth of field. To be fair, you get a lot of light loss with extension rings or bellows as well.

The third is correction of lens aberrations. Lenses are corrected for light entering at the front of the lens, not the rear so your lens won't be as well corrected in the reverse direction.

On the plus side it is possible to get reproduction ratios greater than 1:1.

It's a cheap way to get into macro photography. I find the biggest problems are the close working distances and the very shallow DOF...but you can buy the ring for around $10 (or even just use tape).

Here is a shot I took with a reverse macro ring.
Macro-01.jpg

Awesome! Nice info guys, thanks. Those rings exist also for a Nikon D50 18-55mm?
I gotta buy 1 right now. Price is very low compared to other accesories...

Those rings exist also for a Nikon D50 18-55mm?
They are just a simple piece of metal with two sets of threads. The idea being that you use the filter threads to attach one lens to the front of another. So you do have to have two lenses.

Lol, I feel like such a noob. Thank you the info!

You will loose all auto functions with a reversing ring. But if you are up to using manual, they are a really cheap way of doing Macro.
I started off with one, but Now I use a Sigma 105mm f 2.8 EX DG Macro, and use extension rings if required. On its' own it will give 1 : 1 ratios very easily, and even out performs the Canon 100 macro at nearly twice the price....If you get into macro it is well worth a check out..

You will loose all auto functions with a reversing ring.
My autofocus works fine when I reversed a 50mm onto a 35-105mm lens. It was probably hard on the AF motor because it had to rotate the whole 50mm lens...but it works. The DOF is so thin...that I end up focusing with slight adjustments to the tripod or subject anyway.

Did you join 2 lenses together. One normally and one reversed ?

never tried that...

D.O.F. Is ALWAYS very small indeed. The smaller the macro the smaller the DOF. (I once took a Lady Bird at 1 : 1 and the split in the carapace was sharp. But the front And the back of the carapace were both out of focus..)

Did you join 2 lenses together. One normally and one reversed ?
I sure did. That's the idea of a macro reversing ring.

The reversing rings that I have used, one end fitted the camera, but as they are made of plastic there was no electrical connection to the camera (in my case an old Minolta X-700) the other end fitted the screw in filter thread in the front of the lens (a 50mm f 1.7 Rokor).
Worked fine, but as I said no auto at all.

How is that for a coincidence ! Here we are talking macro etc and a Ladybird has just landed on my desk. So I took a shot. THIS IS IN JANUARY IN THE U.K. !!! (Keep burning the fossils lads...).But it does show the tiny DOF in macro. The ladybird is VERY small (About 3 mm)
the texture of the paper shows the DOF to full advantage..

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/groupcaptainbonzo/IMGa_2143.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/groupcaptainbonzo/IMGa_2141Medium.jpg

The "W" on the left side is written in fine point biro...

Great timing.

The reversing rings that I have used, one end fitted the camera, but as they are made of plastic there was no electrical connection to the camera the other end fitted the screw in filter thread in the front of the lens
I had a feeling that we were talking about different things. I haven't seen anything like that, for Canon EOS anyway.

Sorry for the confusion guys,
I was actually asking about two different items this one guy on EBAY is selling.

Lens Reversing Ring AND Lens coupling rings.

One for putting a lens reverse on your camera, and one for putting a lens reverse on your other lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back