Lens stuck in AF!

Marc-Etienne

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is a question to the knowledgeables and the Sigma 105mm macro users.

I got a used Sigma 105mm macro lens online couple months ago. Something broke during the shipping that forces me in AF (I got an arrangement with the seller that was really understanding about it). When I flick the focusing ring back and forth to switch from AF to MF and in both positions it remains in AF. I manage my way around it so far, but recently I realized that I couldn't focus to infinity anymore. The motor doesn't bring back the lens back in (external focusing lens) to the infinity position like if something was retraining it.

That bugs me because it's my fastest lens and can't use it anymore as a normal lens. Would anyone have an idea of what could have happened?

Thanks for your help!

So you are sure that you have moved both the ring AND the setting?

Yes, there is also a little sounds when I rotate the lens. It sounds like a lose piece of plastic that is bouncing inside.

Have you considered getting a free estimate to fix it from Sigma?

Also, sometimes pointing the lens towards the ground and THEN switching to manual will re-engage the focus gears.

This is just an update in case that anyone is in the same situation or will be one day. That might give you an idea of what could have happened.

As mentioned, my lens was stuck in AF and couldn't focus to infinity anymore. I brought it to the shop for an evaluation and got told that the focusing ring was broken (got damage during shipping). So even if I was sliding the focusing ring, it couldn't change from AF to MF. It will be approximately 70-80$ repair (if the stupid piece can get in!!!:grumpy: it's been three weeks so far!).

Hope my macro lens will be back soon! At this pace, it won't be there for spring!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back