Lens Suggestion for Automotive Photography

ccdan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ccwheel.com
I own a Canon Digital Rebel EOS; before I ditch it for something else what's a good lens to buy for automotive photography? I own the default 18-55mm Canon lens, and a Tamron AF75-300. I find that I like to take most shots around 40mm to 80mm. My biggest issues with the setup is saturation, noise and sharpness all before post processing.

By using the CPL the saturation is almost dead nuts perfect. Seams like a lot of the noise comes from me trying to "sharpen" the photo post processing and I always use a tripod at 100iso on a shoot to have the least noise in the photos as possible. If I fix the sharpness/clarity issue it may fix the noise as well. I believe I'm as precautions as I can be to keep these things from happening so it has to be the lens(s) or camera.

Any thoughts or suggestions? If you think it’s a lens issue what would you suggest within reason?

Well there are a few choices you will have there is the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 which is a very sharp lens and costs $419. Since I see you are staying pretty much between 40-80mm. Then there is the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 of which there are two versions, one is IF which is $899 the other isnt and isnt as good at $599 according to the user reviews. The first is starts getting sharp in the center at f/3.5 and gets really good at f/8-11 which is typical. But one guy complained of vignetting at 70 on his.
Also what program are you using to sharpen. I know PS introduces noise if you try to sharpen too much. And what f-ratios are you using. Every lens has a sweet spot that works well with it and, it isnt usually the wide open end nor the very closed end. Also you may want to try playing with your ISOs as well. Maybe try 200 or 400 for the shots. I shoot the D300 and, shoot alot in ISO 800 with it when Im using my polarizer. I use my lower ISOs for special shots when Im using my NDs. I mostly shoot wildlife so I also need the higher shutter speeds that affords me. The beauty of digital is you can play with everything and, see what it does right away.

Any place where you think I could find one of these lenses used in good condition that you would trust? Obviously ebay would be shady so on certain photo forums?

Well there are a few choices you will have there is the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 which is a very sharp lens and costs $419. Since I see you are staying pretty much between 40-80mm. Then there is the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 of which there are two versions, one is IF which is $899 the other isnt and isnt as good at $599 according to the user reviews. The first is starts getting sharp in the center at f/3.5 and gets really good at f/8-11 which is typical. But one guy complained of vignetting at 70 on his.

Also what program are you using to sharpen. I know PS introduces noise if you try to sharpen too much. And what f-ratios are you using. Every lens has a sweet spot that works well with it and, it isnt usually the wide open end nor the very closed end. Also you may want to try playing with your ISOs as well. Maybe try 200 or 400 for the shots. I shoot the D300 and, shoot alot in ISO 800 with it when Im using my polarizer. I use my lower ISOs for special shots when Im using my NDs. I mostly shoot wildlife so I also need the higher shutter speeds that affords me. The beauty of digital is you can play with everything and, see what it does right away.

I have heard that the Sigma 18-50 lens was nice and I'm guess everyone is refering to the Macro lens. Looks like they make two 18-50mm lenses. One's about $100 bux the other is mid-high $300 range.

I hadn't really messed with different ISO's as in the past I had a bad issue with noise in and was told the lower the ISO the less noise so I always try to shoot at 100. Being 90% of what I shoot will be still I can use a tripod and even use a remote so NOTHING is moving. I was using PS to sharpen the photo and usally copy the photo, sharpen, and reduce the copy to 50% as just one sharpen seems to be almost overkill.

Would you consider a prime lens? You could get the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM or EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM for under $400. The EF 50mm f/1.8 goes for under $100.

Not sure what a prime lens is....

A prime lens has no zoom feature. A 50mm is a 50mm, period.

A zoom lens has to be designed allowing for a bit of conpromise at one end of the zoom range or the other. Typically the longer end suffers.

Primes tend to be sharper overall.

To be thourough: Prime lenses can be zoomed, sort of. You just use your feet and move closer or farther away. :lol:

I find that I like to take most shots around 40mm to 80mm.

I would seriously consider getting the 50mm f/1.4 and the 85mm f/1.8.
You can get both of them for less than a single decent zoom lens will cost you.

(They are both great lenses too, btw.)

Last edited:
the sigma 10-20mm is great for close up photography.

personally i use to 10-20, 50, and 55-200. all nikon lenses

does your canon allow you to adjust the saturation and sharpness in the camera. If so, make some tweaks there.

Any place where you think I could find one of these lenses used in good condition that you would trust? Obviously ebay would be shady so on certain photo forums?

I have heard that the Sigma 18-50 lens was nice and I'm guess everyone is refering to the Macro lens. Looks like they make two 18-50mm lenses. One's about $100 bux the other is mid-high $300 range.

I hadn't really messed with different ISO's as in the past I had a bad issue with noise in and was told the lower the ISO the less noise so I always try to shoot at 100. Being 90% of what I shoot will be still I can use a tripod and even use a remote so NOTHING is moving. I was using PS to sharpen the photo and usally copy the photo, sharpen, and reduce the copy to 50% as just one sharpen seems to be almost overkill.

Would you consider a prime lens? You could get the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM or EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM for under $400. The EF 50mm f/1.8 goes for under $100.

Not sure what a prime lens is....
You might try KEH Camera: Used Cameras, Digital Cameras, Film Cameras, Laptop Computers and More. for some great used lenses. They are very reputable and back up their stuff. Also they are very conservative in grading so the lenses I have bought from them were much better than I expected.

Anyone have any opinion on a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 Macro? There's a cheap one and a $300+ dollar one and I'm obviously looking at the better of the two.

Thanks to everyone for the feed back I'm down to the above or
Canon 50mm looks like there are may different makes of this focal lenght in the EF series and there are odd price jumps between them. So not sure which one is for me...

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back