Lens suggestion for beginner please

rajaofphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi All,

Can any one kindly suggest which of the following are best lens suitable for beginner.

Portrait Photography and land scape, ocassional church event photo graphy.

Based on lenses , i m planning to buy the relavant bodies - Nikon D 5100 or Canon Rebel T3i

1. Nikon 50 mm or Canon 50 mm or Sigma 50 mm - PRIME Lens.

2. Nikon 18-200 mm or Canon 28-135 mm - Zoom lens.

Thank you very much for your valuable time.

Regards

all i can say is that 50mm prime is very good for portraits

As someone who does a large part of my shooting in church, be sure to pick up an external flash such as a Canon 430 EX if you go with a Canon. The zoom lenses you've indicated are all smaller-aperature and require a decent flash when used indoors. The built-in pop-up flash on most entry level cameras are good for at most 10-12 feet, and give very harsh-looking results. Being able to bounce the light using an external flash, as well as various diffusers, gives much better results.

Thank you for the suggestion on external flash.
Can you plz suggest which is a better lens, canon 28-135 or Nikon 18-200.
Thank you

Nikon 18-200 is the better lens in terms of range. The 28-135 is an OLD< film-era zoom lens that used to be a high0end kit lens...BUT, with the digital focval length multiplication factor, a 28mm has a MUCH narrower angle of view on a 1.6x Canon than it ever did on a Canon film body. The Nikon 18-200mm ws DESIGNED FOR DIGITAL SLR use, and is a much,much wifer-angle lens at 18mm.

28mm x 1.6 Canon crop-frame FOV multiplier of 1.6x

18mm x 1.5 (Nikon FOV is 1.5x)

As well as 135mm x 1.6x versus 200mm x 1.5x

My preferance on the Canon side is the EF-S 18-135. I think it's the 'newer' version of the 28-135. I had one a year ago and really liked it. But like the 28-135, it needs a flash indoors.

I'm a Canon shooter...I can barely spell Niokn.

Most reactions

Back