Lens suggestion (for mtb)

Hi guys, I got the 24~85 VR. Do I like it? Well.... it's kinda blend, as you'd expect from travel zoom lens. I do notice a tendency to under expose, which is not a big deal, at least it's better than over exposure. I like the range it gives me, but even with VR I still need to really be careful when pressing the shutter in the tree shade. Unlike my trusty F1.4 50mm, I do have to look at my LCD more to make sure I didn't get motion blur. Also, since the aperture size is limited, I can't go down low enough to get the contrasting sense of depth that I get on the 50. The bokeh is of course no where near as nice as the 50, or any prime for that matter. I think I am still sitting on the fence on this one, or still adapting to it. One thing that I do regret is, not too long after I purchased this lens new, many used ones started to pop out on the local used equipment FB group that I signed up for, selling in excellent conditions for almost half the MSRP.

The most let down (experience wise) of using a mid range travel lens like this is, I get discouraged in trying interesting shots, compositions etc, because I know I can't achieve many things that I can with a prime.

I still use a 28-80mm f/3.3-4.5 from time to time as my walk around lens. Sharp enough for my needs. Light. Plus I would care if it got wrecked.

Most reactions

Back