Lens suggestion for Sony A65

LisaG

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to DSLR and am trying to find the best type of lens for portraits and family photos that creates a good blur effect .

I have three lenses from my old old Minolta Maxxum camera

Thanks,
Lisa
Thanks,
Lisa

I have the Minolta 50mm 1.7. It's a great lens and adds some great blur. Picked it up on amazon for $80 in mint condition with free shipping and its perfect for portraits. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Minolta-AF-Le...d=1353547895&sr=8-1&keywords=minolta+50mm+1.7
And due to our crop sensor, the 50mm is pretty zoomed, here's a sony one that has a pretty wide field of view http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SAL30M28...=1353547974&sr=8-7&keywords=minolta+35mm+lens

And here is a Sony 50mm 1.8 that is pretty cheap, although I read reviews that the Minolta 1.7 outperforms the Sony version. --> http://www.amazon.com/Sony-50mm-Alp...=UTF8&qid=1353548143&sr=1-1&keywords=sony+1.8

And if you have the cash, sigma offers a pretty good prime too --> http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-50mm-EX...1353548041&sr=8-4&keywords=sigma+1.4+for+sony --Just watch out for that 77mm filter size, it may ressemble a small cannon. Lol.

In the end, I like my 50mm but it actually ressembles an 80mm effect on a crop sensor body. I wish I would have gone with the 35mm or 30mm and that would more closely ressemble a "true 50mm" length. Either way all of these lenses are great for portraits and can produce alot of "blur".

-Alex

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
These are the lenses that I have:

Minolta Maxxum 35-80mm AF Zoom 1:4(22)-5.6

Promaster spectrum f=70-210 1:4~5.6

Minolta maxxum 50mm 1:1.7

Your Minolta 50mm prime (f1.7) is great for portraits and blur. If you are new, set your camera in Aperture Priority (A), and turn down the aperture to f1.7 and it will adjust the rest. This will produce the most blur but reduce your depth of field. Play around with it- anywhere between f1.7-f2.8 will creat great blur, but there are alot of other factors to make sure you are getting all of your subject in focus. Here is an online depth of field calculator that will tell you how much of your subject will be in focus at certain f stops. Online Depth of Field Calculator
There are many things that contribute to a "blur" effect. Do a quick search on the forum or google, and it will explain it, but the 50mm lens you already own is a very good lens for the effect you are after.

-Alex

Thank you Fraction and Alex

This is all new to me. Back when I had the Minolta 35 mm camera I had no clue about aperture. F stops etc etc
Now it is something I really want to learn about because everyone says I have a great eye for shots, now I just need to learn all if the technical stuff and how to use my new camera to get the best quality photo. I love photography.

Thank you Fraction and Alex

This is all new to me. Back when I had the Minolta 35 mm camera I had no clue about aperture. F stops etc etc
Now it is something I really want to learn about because everyone says I have a great eye for shots, now I just need to learn all if the technical stuff and how to use my new camera to get the best quality photo. I love photography.

Me too, just research what each setting does and in no time it will be embedded in your head especially if you love it. :) I took the time to research it and within a week or two, I went from shooting auto mode to manual mode. It is quite easy once you understand it, and it will make it alot easier to add that "blur" to your pictures whenever you need to.

That 50 1.7 should give you the blur you're looking for. I was amazed when I first tried mine. You'd have to step up to the Sony 1.4 to get more.

On another note you can pick up the minolta beer can (70-210 f4). It can blow out the background in portraits and allows you to give the subject a slimming effect.

I use both on my a65 and get great results.

That 50 1.7 should give you the blur you're looking for. I was amazed when I first tried mine. You'd have to step up to the Sony 1.4 to get more.

On another note you can pick up the minolta beer can (70-210 f4). It can blow out the background in portraits and allows you to give the subject a slimming effect.

I use both on my a65 and get great results.

You will barely get anyone in focus at f1.7, especially at 1.4. At 1.7, I get just about my dog's nose in focus from 5 feet or so and thats it. F2.8 is pretty good from 10 feet or so, you could easily get 2 people in focus with a great bokeh. But again, you can get the same effect at f3.5 with the right focal distance, distance from your subject to the backround, etc, etc. The DOF calculator is good if you want that effect with any lens..

The idea of having a f1.4 lens is to be able to shoot at its sharpest at f2 or f2.8. With the option of opening up when necessary.

Take a look into the original Minolta 35-105, not the refashioned one, but the one with the macro button on it. They're kind of hard to find, but the reviews I'm reading on it say it's very sharp all around, and is very affordable.

The 50mm will do the job for full length portraits. An 85 f1.4 would be good for like 2/3 poses and 1 135 f1.8 for close ups. The zeiss 135 f1.8 is probably one of the best in the sony line up. Really sharp and amazing bokeh. I highly recommend it if looking for a portrait lens. Its best on full frame but still great on crop sensor.

Take a look into the original Minolta 35-105, not the refashioned one, but the one with the macro button on it. They're kind of hard to find, but the reviews I'm reading on it say it's very sharp all around, and is very affordable.

Yes this Macro Zoom from Minolta is outstanding! I can most surely vouch for it. Here is a sample of what this lens can do - Stunning Test Results For Minolta MD 35-105mm f/3.5-4.5 macro zoom | Parabellum Foto

It's better than my prime lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back