Lens Suggestion

ranmyaku

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jpgmag.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been contemplating for a while my next (and first) lens purchase. At first I was really excited about buying the AF-S DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED. It has gotten some good reviews as far as being a great all purpose lens. With the only drawbacks I have read about being the lens creep. I think it would keep someone from changing lenses very often, considering it covers a pretty large range. Does anyone have this lens and recommend buying it, considering the cost?

The only downside is that I do like to shoot wide angle, and would love to have the AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR 12-24mm f/4G IF-ED, but i think that is out of my price range. I also read a little about the Tokina 12 - 24 mm f/4. It seems to compare favorably against the Nikon at half the price. If anyone has either of these lenses any comments would be great.

So i guess the question is, go for the Tokina 12-24, and then save for later to expand on the kit lens...or go for the Nikon 18-200 and save for later to purchase a wide angle lens.

Anyone have any good suggestions, maybe for other lenses even?

In addition to my kit lens Nikkor 18-55mm kit lens - AF-S DX Zoom f3.5-5.6 G ED II, I bought the Nikkor 55-200mm lens - AF-S VR Zoom f/3-5.6 G IF-ED, which I am please with don't mind too much switching lenses. It gave me the distances I wanted to cover, in the beginning.

Shortly after that I got the 50mm f/1.8 and couldn't have been happier. That is until I wanted to go wide. I got the Nikkor 12-24mm f/4 G-AFS ED-IF DX and have been so impressed with it. Happy as clam. Until I wished I had a really good portrait lens. Today I ordered the Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D AF.

I'm not telling this tale to impress anyone. I am publicly admitting I have a problem. Because I am now targeting in on the 300mm f/2.8 not the f/4. Somebody, please help me get this monkey off my back.

...Sorry, back to your question, what was it again? Oh yeah, I've heard some good things about the 18-200mm. Maybe save up for the Nikkor 12-24, you won't be sorry. Not sure of the Tokina.

I'm a beginner also and I'll share my experience with lens so far. I have the 2 kit lens that came with the D40 and decided it was time to buy a better lens. I bought the Nikon 70 - 300 lens with VR. If I had it to do over again I would get the Nikon 105mm f/2.8. Its around the price of some of the lens you are looking at and the reviews are really good.

I'm not telling this tale to impress anyone. I am publicly admitting I have a problem. Because I am now targeting in on the 300mm f/2.8 not the f/4. Somebody, please help me get this monkey off my back.

Take a look at the sigma 120-300mm f/2.8. I LOVE THIS LENSE. Yea, ill be buying the 400mm soon if i can gather some more cash up. but you can easily get about 600mm with a 2x converter at f/4

Stay away from the 18-200 lens creep is not the only drawback. With a lens with that kind of range you are going to see softness at the far ends. Also you are paying a high price for convenience not lens quality. What you get is of course going to depend on your budget but a nice lens with a decent rang is going to be http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/277219-USA/Nikon_2145_24_120mm_f_3_5_5_6G_ED_IF_AF_S.html tha is unless of course you can afford a 2.8.........................

That's a good point about the softness. The 24-120 seems like a sweet lens also. That is around my price range too.

Take a look at the sigma 120-300mm f/2.8. I LOVE THIS LENSE. Yea, ill be buying the 400mm soon if i can gather some more cash up. but you can easily get about 600mm with a 2x converter at f/4

I wanted to stay away from a zoom at this length. Pretty much from here on out as well, as I figure the basics are covered. I am curious about the teleconveters though. It seems that the Nikon teleconverters' optics are quite good.

Stay away from the 18-200 lens creep is not the only drawback. With a lens with that kind of range you are going to see softness at the far ends. Also you are paying a high price for convenience not lens quality.

Forgot about that part JIP, thanks. A lot depends on what you read, what you absorb and what you forget. Unless it's what I'm interested in, I tend to forget a lot...and it's only getting worse. Jokes about my father aren't quite so funny now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back