Lens suggestions for D800E

Because its not really needed for focal lengths below 100mm.

Unless you want to shoot in really low light...then the VR MIGHT save you from a blurry picture..again MIGHT.

if you get the 24-70, shoot at minimum of 1/125 shutter speed and you'll be alright even with your tremor shake in hands. unless you REALLY shake and not just normal shake...

If you shoot 1/focal length of your lens on a full frame body, so a 50mm focal length would demand a 1/50s shutter speed, that should eliminate camera shake if you practice proper camera holding technique.

VR won't save you from a blurry photo in the dark if you're dragging the shutter. People are still going to move, and it will become apparent at 1/15s.

I have to say I am finding VR pretty meaningless on short lenses now I have a Tamron 17-50 2.8, I have found I can handhold the Tammy at 1/20 of a second at the 50mm setting and still get keepers. The fast aperture is useful aswell!

When it comes to telephoto lenses though, different story, IMO VR/IS is a mandatory requirement in the modern age. I cannot even describe the amount of times that the VR on my 70-300 has saved the day and I would not wish to be without it ever again on any telephoto lens I purchase.

The 24-70 would be a great purchase for you I am sure, my 17-50 which is similar to a 24-70 on a crop body is my workhorse lens and if I had to keep one lens it would probably have to be this lens. Purely due to the fact it is so so flexible, alot of photographers claim that only wide and telephoto lenses make interesting photos as they exaggerate perspective. I'm not sure I agree with these views! The 24-70 range is a fantastic focal range to work in.

Problem with D800E is that you'll need the best most expemsive lens to get all that quality out from your sensor.

Have you considered primes? You might enjoy the Nikon 35mm f1.8 for $200, and the 50mm f1.8 for about 100. They are both fast lenses, good in low light, which combined with the low light performance of the D800, will help you shoot at higher shutter speeds. You could also get the 85mm f1.8 for about $400, and have a good range of focal lengths for less than the cost of the 24-70.

The 35mm f/1.8 is a DX lens, and combined with the resolution of the D800 will show the extreme CA pretty clearly. If you want a FX 35mm lens, it's either the 35/1.4, or the 35/2 for Nikon.
The 35/1.4 is a sweet sweet lens

Have you considered primes? You might enjoy the Nikon 35mm f1.8 for $200, and the 50mm f1.8 for about 100. They are both fast lenses, good in low light, which combined with the low light performance of the D800, will help you shoot at higher shutter speeds. You could also get the 85mm f1.8 for about $400, and have a good range of focal lengths for less than the cost of the 24-70.

The 35mm f/1.8 is a DX lens, and combined with the resolution of the D800 will show the extreme CA pretty clearly. If you want a FX 35mm lens, it's either the 35/1.4, or the 35/2 for Nikon.
The 35/1.4 is a sweet sweet lens

I agree, I have the 35/1.4L (Canon) and love it.

Nikon 13mm F/5.6D
Nikon 24mm F/1.4G
Nikon 35mm F/1.4G
Nikon 50mm F/1.4G
Nikon 85mm F/1.4G
Nikon 135mm F/2.0 DC
Sigma 150mm F/2.8 OS Macro
Nikon 200mm F/2.0II
Nikon 300mm F/4.0

Mark

Last edited:
Nikon 13mm F/5.6D
Nikon 24mm F/1.4G
Nikon 35mm F/1.4G
Nikon 50mm F/1.4G
Nikon 85mm F/1.4G
Nikon 135mm F/2.0 DC
Nikon 200mm F/2.0II
Nikon 300mm F/4.0

Mark

SWAP the Nikon 50 1.4G for a Sigma 50 1.4 and I would be the happiest man on earth with this line up!

Those new Nikon 24 1.4G and 35 1.4G are frickin amazing lenses! :drool:

Nikon 13mm F/5.6D
Nikon 24mm F/1.4G
Nikon 35mm F/1.4G
Nikon 50mm F/1.4G
Nikon 85mm F/1.4G
Nikon 135mm F/2.0 DC
Nikon 200mm F/2.0II
Nikon 300mm F/4.0

Mark

SWAP the Nikon 50 1.4G for a Sigma 50 1.4 and I would be the happiest man on earth with this line up!

Those new Nikon 24 1.4G and 35 1.4G are frickin amazing lenses! :drool:

Shoot! That's what I thought I put. Oops. That's the one I'll most likely be picking up shortly. :)

EDIT: Added Sigma 150mm F/2.8 OS Macro.

Mark

You folks have been a great help. I have spent the last couple of weeks studying the world of mostly Nikon lenses. Based the price of the 24-70mm lens, I spent much time reviewing all of the prime choices. Every time I thought about one of the excellent primes, I realized that this fell within the range of the 20-70mm, except for a couple of the extreme wide angle choices. As I added up the cost of owning several primes I realized that the cost of the 20-70mm was beginning to look better and better, even though it doesn't have the VR. But for that matter neither do the primes. So I grabbed my checkbook and went back to Samys and bought the 20-70mm lens. The sales guy was nice enough to sell me a Hoya polarizer, which had a list price over $300 for $139 so I got that also. This lens on the D800E is a dream setup to me. I haven't been out shooting much yet, since I just got it yesterday, but have shot some around home. One shot of our grandson coming back from walking the dog, where he was over 100 yards down the street, could be cropped until he and the dog filled the frame and believe me it was sharp enough to be used as a picture in itself. It was quite impressive. I have even shot a few at ISO 6400 and the noise is barely perceptible.
I think I made the right choice on getting this lens and I now realize why I didn't see but one on the used market. A plus in using this setup is that my muscle tone will certainly improve.
One observation, in that picture of our grandson, a front door on a home about 1/4 mile away (probably a screen door) exhibited some barely detectable Moire', but unless you were looking for it, it was a non issue. In fact the reason I went with the "E" version over the plain D800 was found in two different articles where two pro photographers purchased both the D800 and D800E. They both said that after using both that they felt the Moire' was not an issue. In some comparison shots they provide between the D800 and D800E, I noticed that in addition to the sharpness of the photos, the contrast and color brightness, was perceptively better. So the anti aliasing filter does some destructive correction in addition to playing it safe with the Moire'. I don't think Nikon would have released this version if it was going to be an issue.
The 24-70mm lens will also be a great lens for my D7000, which I have become dearly enamored.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back