Lens Suggestions for Vacation (Peru)

Dylan96

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im going on vacation next week and i wanted to rent a lens, but im not to sure what lens to rent. I am shooting with a D7000, and im bringing my everyday lens (Sigma 50mm 1.4) What lens would you suggest for this trip? Some on the places I will be going to (Lima,Sacred Valley, Macchu Picchu, and Cusco) I was thinking of renting a 70-200, can I get some suggestions? Thanks

70-200 2.8 will be a great lens to rent but heavy.
If you are willing to carry heavy lenses then a 70-200mm sounds like a good idea.
To that you can add a 24-70mm 2.8 as well for everything else.

I personally would maybe suggest Nikon 24-85mm VR if you want a good sharp lens which is much smaller and light weight and 70-300mm VR for telezoom.
These 2 lenses are good sharp (not as sharp as the pro lenses). they are of course much slower and much lighter.

Depends of what you are looking for

what about a Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 II EX DC HSM?

what about a Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 II EX DC HSM?

Some people like that lens.. i am not one of those. I would rather 1) carry the extra weight of the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 or 2) loose the f/2.8 and take Nikons smaller 70-200 f/4.

If it was me (and i wanted to haul around a bunch of gear)..

Nikon 70-300VR (small-ish, light-ish, long reach)
Tokina 12-24 f/4 (UWA for landscape, street)
Your Existing 50mm.

I would take a 70-200mm f4 or a 70-300mm VR as a zoom and a 16-35mm f4 VR for my wide shots!

I would take a 70-200mm f4 or a 70-300mm VR as a zoom and a 16-35mm f4 VR for my wide shots!

Add a 50mm prime and this would be combo as well.

I took the same trip in 2012. Unless you are very fit, the hiking through Machu Picchu you will likely only want one good lens ( i carried my D7000 with a 24-70mm f2.5) and had my iphone and pocket point and shoot. I wished i had taken something wider than 24mm (Dx). On my tour, you could only take a backpack on the train from Cusco to Aqua Caliente. Once you get to your hotel, if you are like me, you will want to drop your bag and take the bus up to enter the park...so if you plan to use your backpack for camera gear, bring a second bag that you can leave your overnight stuff. I got to Aqua Caliente around 10am and was entering the park by noon (it closes at 5pm). I used my Black Rapid strap for my Nikon but had to be careful that it did jot swing and hit the steep steps. You will hike/climb for 40 minutes from the entry to get to the guard shack where all of the renown photos are taken. The step climb is exhausting, with no rails and as a short person, there were some steps that are very steep. I used my point and shoot for the zoom shots. 90% of my shots were wide angle, and that camera got very heavy (remember that you will be at roughly 9000ft elevation, and it takes its toll). Make sure you get a prescription for altitude sickness meds. I had taken it in Tibet and knew how important it was, especially in Cusco (out if 10 people in my tour, 3 got very sick in Peru, and all ended up under Dr care - 2 from altitude and another gastro stuff everyone caught a respiratory/cold). Bug spray is an absolute must. People in shorts got eaten alive by the sand flees. In Aqua Caliente if you have the energy and want to do night star shots, it is the best place i have been, such that the naked eye can see alot. I saw some carrying tripods, in AC, but not MP. I just didnt have the energy to get outside as i was planning a second day in the park before returning to Cusco, Machu Picchu is AMAZING but as a 55+ person, requires a lot if fitness and energy.

In the sacred valley, particularly at the salt flats, having both a wide and zoom are helpful. I took great wide shots of the. My zoom was a 70-200mm 4-5 and it handled everything i needed. The substantial majority of my shots were with the 24-70.

You will have a memorable time.

If it was me I would go as light as possible. The nikon 55-300mm or even 55-200mm covers a good range, is light and the main gripes about these lenses is they do not focus lightening fast- I imagine most stuff you will be shooting is scenery and people,so a modest focus should not be to much of an issue. If you could throw a fast standard (tamron or siggy 17-50mm f2.8)with that and your 50mm f1.4, you have distance covered, and a pretty good low light setup for closer shots. This would stilllikely weigh less than a 70-200.If you carru to much your gear may spoil your trip. just a thought

A couple of thoughts...

1. The points about hiking at altitude and weight is a critical one. B/c while you will want a zoom (and 200mm is a good focal length), I've got a 200mm 2.8 and it's a bear to lug around PLUS you pretty much want to bring a tripod to shoot it with.

2. Be prepared for extreme light so fast glass is a very good thing. So I think your Sigma 50mm f1.4 is probably a good choice. Except you may want more of a wide angle lens (see #3).

3. When people think of Peru, they tend to think of Machu Pichu. But you're also talking a lot of urban and village life where a wide angle lens is critical. And Lima is now home to one of the most adventuresome and creative food scenes in Central and South America--superb dining is there to be had and some really cool photography if you're a foodie.

Most reactions

Back