Lens suggestions

Mark.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Looking for some help picking out a new lens, i have a Nikon D3200 camera so it needs to suit DX camera's, i will upgrade to a D7100 body in the future most likely so i would like to use it with that too without having to take crop factor into consideration for an fx lens.

Untill i move to the D7100 (probably this time next year) the lens will also need to have the focus motor built into the lens.

I currently have a Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 DX II and a Nikkor 35mm F1.8 and the 18-55mm kit lens the camera came with(which i dont use much now). Im looking for something to fill the gap where the Tokina ends and the Nikkor begins roughly

Any input would be appreciated,
Cheers

How about a 17-50mm f/2.8 or 17-xx f/2.8~4 from Sigma, or the admittedly expensive Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 DX lens?

Thats one of my main issues with it, just feels like a piece of junk, and im getting very used to using f2.8 or wider now which i enjoy. Id like to try nail down some good examples for future reference, id like the lens to be middle of the road quality/budget.

I have looked at the sigma lens's suggested and they are something to consider, any other suggestions are welcome

Thats one of my main issues with it, just feels like a piece of junk, and im getting very used to using f2.8 or wider now which i enjoy. Id like to try nail down some good examples for future reference, id like the lens to be middle of the road quality/budget.

I have looked at the sigma lens's suggested and they are something to consider, any other suggestions are welcome

I know some people like to ridicule him, but kenrockwell.com has his finger pretty well on the pulse of many of the consumer-oriented zoom lenses of today. Rockwell has personally tested a number of wide Zooms for DX cameras. It seems like Ken reviewed a newish Tokina 16 - 35 (??) that actually works pretty well from somewhere around 18 or 19 on up on FX just as well as it does on DX. Maybe it was a 16-28. That's one of the things that Ken does, when he tests a DX oriented lens, he also lets you know how well it works on an FX format camera.

My bad: 12-28mm
Tokina 12-28mm Review

The way things are today middle-of-the-road price means about $800 down to $400. One way to get a better lens in that price zone is to buy a used example from a retailer that offers return privileges. Many of these lenses are bought and returned by people who really don't know exactly what it is they need, so it's not like you're buying used old, thrashers.

Last edited:
I can vouch for the sigma 17-50 2.8. great lens and better than the kit in image quality and build.

Sent from my XT1254 using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

A 12-28mm is something i would consider, the new lens doesnt need to exactly fill the gap i have between 16mm and 35mm, but close enough. I suppose my main concern is having a wide aperture dx lens and solid build quality, also having the focus motor built into the lens

I would probably look to spend £400-500 new or used depending on what it was. I can imagine il hold onto my Tokina lens aslong as i shoot dx ( which i probably always will) so i want something of equal quality that i can keep for a long time

Most reactions

New Topics

Back