Lens Trouble?

bschneider5

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was taking pictures last night, everything was OK until I switched to my Nikon DX AF-S 55-200 1:4-5.6G ED lens. I found that the autofocus will not work. I took it off, put it back on and tried it on my neice's camera (D40) and it will not work on her camera either.

I'm a bit of a beginner so I don't think I have settings wrong. Especially since my 18-55mm lens works fine. I haven't dropped the lens or anything. Any ideas on what the problem might be?

Sounds like it could be a lens problem. Do other lenses work OK on those cameras?

Sounds like it could be a lens problem. Do other lenses work OK on those cameras?
Yes, other lenses work with the camera. Nothing seems to be rattling around or anything. I guess I need to see about getting it repaired. I have only had it for about 6 months, I suppose there is a warranty for this?

Yes, other lenses work with the camera. Nothing seems to be rattling around or anything. I guess I need to see about getting it repaired. I have only had it for about 6 months, I suppose there is a warranty for this?
It should, but before you pack it up, try cleaning the contacts on the rear of the lens with a pencil eraser.

It should, but before you pack it up, try cleaning the contacts on the rear of the lens with a pencil eraser.

Try this, and also check the switch, it might be stuck, flip it back and forth a few times.

I did the eraser trick, no difference. Also exercised the switch. I never noticed it before, but when rotating the barrel, there seems to be an increase in resistance as I zoom in further. Is this normal?

Should be a warranty, but it depends on if you bought it new, used, grey market, etc... I just looked at B&H and they list a 5 year warranty for that lens.

Thanks guys for the input. I boxed it up, will be sent to the repair facility tomorrow.

I assume you mean return it for warranty repairs?
Yes, I spoke with a lady on the phone from Nikon, she said I needed to send it in with my papers and they would evaluate it. She said unless is was dropped or water damage or something that would void the warranty they would repair it. If it isn't covered, I would have the option of having them fix it or send it back to me.

At that point, I'm not sure what I would do for repair. I would imagine they are pricey, as would any repair facility be?

BTW, I purchased it new in June from Costco.com as part of a bundle with my D40.

Most reactions

Back