lENS UPGRADE FOR 5D MARK II

aaron1956

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone. I hope all of you had a great Easter! I spent my day in a wildlife refuge shooting birds. Which brings me to my question. I have a Sigma DG 28-300mm right now and I am wanting to upgrade. I am considering either the Canon 400mm prime or the Canon 100-400mm zoom lens. I want this lens mainly for bird and wildlife photography. I haven't researched any other brand, just Canon but I won't rule them out.
I would really appreciate any opinions on prime vs. zoom and Canon versus xxxx brand.
Thanks!

Get the 400mm prime. The 100-400m is good don't get my wrong; but if you're after bird and want the reach then you'll be at the 400mm end nearly all the time; so the bonus of a zoom isn't going to be as important as getting that high quality reach.

Unles you've other situations and conditions where a zoom would be superior.

Thanks for the reply! That was my thought also. I almost always have the Sigma 300 full zoom. The Sigma is a good lens but I hope to get more crisp shots with the Canon 400 mm. Okay, one vote for the prime lens!

The 400mm prime will knock the socks off the 28-300mm zoom. That zoom is covering a lot of range, it simply can't be as sharp at the 300mm end when its got all those focal lengths to cover.

In the price point you're in its the sharpest and longest reaching option.

Ok thats 2 votes. Now if I can just get my wife to vote in my favor! Thanks for the input!

I decided on the Canon EF 400mm f/5.6. After two days of being like a kid on Christmas it arrived today. I played around in the yard all afternoon with it and all I can say is WOW! What a great lens! Like you said Overread, it knocks the socks out of my old zoom lens. Here are a few shots I took today with it.

Attachments

• $107 baltimore oriole.jpg
    $107 baltimore oriole.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 162
  • $214hummingbird.jpg
    $214hummingbird.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 171
  • $217white-wing dove.jpg
    $217white-wing dove.jpg
    348.8 KB · Views: 170
  • $217white-wing head.jpg
    $217white-wing head.jpg