Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

This is what I have:

Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S
Nikon Nikkor AF-S 80-200mm f:2.8 D
Nikkor
18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom
Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR Zoom

I have a D7000 as my main camera and a D40 I want to keep in my truck to have if needed. I have already assigned the 55-200mm to the D40 since gettng the 80-200 (awesome lens!) and would like to do the same with the 18-55. Both were prosumer lenses - both are also very nice and have served me well. But I would like to get some pro lenses.

I have a budget of about $2000. I want to be able to do it all - landscapes, occasional portraits, action motor sports, etc....

So my questions are:

What do you think of the
Nikon 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G as a replacement for the 18-55 - this is more of a pro lens isn't it? I seems to cover the wide angle and mid zoom. This would, with the 3 lenses, cover a wide scale 16 - 200mm - that's a good thing when assembling your lens collection isn't it?

Or do you have any other suggestions? I also like the 10-14mm but that would take the entire budget for now and leave a gap in the focal scale.

Thanks!
Daf

NIKON 24-70 F2.8 is what I would suggest!

Since when did the two kit lenses (18-55, and 55-200) become "prosumer" lenses? :confused:

Since when did the two kit lenses (18-55, and 55-200) become "prosumer" lenses? :confused:

...I was letting that one slip, but no, never have been and never will be.

It is good that the OP is upgrading his kit lenses. He will notice a huge difference as I am sure he already has with the 80-200 f2.8...

More power to ya Daf! Just be sure to get the best glass that your budget will allow.

ooh - nice lens that NIKON 24-70 F2.8! Definitely goes on the list! Thanks! I may still want to get a wider angle but that's cool. Suggestion much appreciated. :)

My bad! What actually qualifies a lens one way or the other? Build (plastic vs metal), technology/ability, glass, cost or all of the above? While upon further review I totally agree the 2 I mentioned are entry level - what about something like the 50mm 1.8G? Prosumer?

Thanks!
Daf

To be honest, I don't see the cheap 50mm lenses as being "prosumer", it's kind of hard to really quantify. I guess I'd see off brand lenses of the "holy trinity" focal range with fixed apertures "prosumer" lenses. Personally, I think of lenses like this:

Some are good, and some are not good. Some people are content with convenience (18-200mm f/3.5-6.3), others are concerned with sharpness and workable focal ranges (70-200mm f/2.8), others are concerned with large maximum apertures and sharp optics (85mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.4, etc). It just depends on how you shoot, and the quality of glass you want to put in front of your camera. Kind of coincides with how much you care about photography and honing your craft.

As cnutco mentioned, the 24-70mm focal range is very workable, and the fast f/2.8 aperture is nice. I am personally more of a fan of primes. I walk around pretty much exclusively with an 85mm f/1.4, however I shoot on a full frame body, so the field of view may be too narrow for you, depending on how you shoot.

I get exactly what you are saying - and thanks for the reply. :)

After much thought and shopping I went with a used Nikkor 17-55mm F/2.8 G - the 24-70 F2.8 is still on the list of lenses to have - but this 17-55mm was too good of a deal to pass up.
I just got it from a gentleman on ebay and it's pristine!! I love it already! I hope to go out later today and give it a work out.

Thanks to all for the suggestions!

Most reactions

Back