Lens

Sweetsomedays

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When looking (online) at lenses (not Nikkon) how can I tell if it will work on my D80. I have seen that some just say it in the description but is there another way to tell? Also, I would like to get a wide angle lens but do not want the fish eye effect. How do I sort threw them to find the right one?

Thank you

Avoid manual focus lenses that are non-ai and you will be OK. In other words, virtually everything AF on the market today will work on the market today.

to benefit 100% from the functions and automatisms in your camera, go for the 'D' and 'G' series (G's are basically the same as D's but without an aperture ring).

try and check either in the manual of your camera or on-line the list of lens compatibility to learn more about it.

You specify "NON-NIKON". ( at least I read your post before replying) At the end of the description there should be an "Available in ......... Fit" if the word Nikon appears , you are in. Quality though....
A good working wide angle bracket will be in the order of 15mm - 30mm. some lenses will go outside of this (Mine is a 17 - 85), but if this aproximate area is within the range of the lens, you should be fine. Auto focus is good (Especially if your eyesight is not up to scratch). But if your eyes are fine manual focus is good too (Though maybe not as fast). you will find that MOST modern lenses are Auto as standard for a Nikon.

Let me just edge into this "Third Party Lens" thing a little more.

Everthing in life is a trade off between what you want - what can be provided - what you can pay. And photography is no exception.

As a pro photographer, you have little time to research and compare. Anyway if you use any equipment that is not made by the camera body makers, should something happen, the camera makers will send you to the lens makers , and the lens makers will tell you to see the camera makers.....
Therefore you find the spec that you want, the range of magnification and aperture that you require and pay the money for the "L" series (or whatever) glass. you know that the quality is superb, that you have the backing of all the guarentees and that all you functions will work correctly. You are caught in the equipment trap and the manufactures know this and charge accordingly.

As an amateur. you love your hobby. You want the best. But you don't have the income earmarked for replaceing your tools that a pro must have. BUT you DO have time to research the available kit. So you read up, you go online, and you ask friends and forum members their advice (See my question about Slide show software).

Third party lenses come in all levels of quality and ability. In the main they cannot charge the same as the "Marque" (Camera makers) lenses, because you have more choice. Some do very cheap lenses that are frankly awful.... Some are VERY good. SIGMA have a reputation for providing kit that is as good as marque lenses and MUCH cheaper (Their EX range is in my expereince so far, EXCELLENT. and Tamron have a good name as well, although you will have to ask elsewhere about that one as I have never owned one). Most third party manufactureres will provide mounts for the Big Names (Canon, Nikon etc). But make sure that you stipulate your camera mount when you buy....

Thank you Groupcapatainbonzo. That is great information for me to keep in mind as I look at lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back