Lensbaby macro shots?

LensbabiesSam

TPF Sponsor
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had tried the Lensbaby macro kits. I had some nice shots from last summer, when the bugs were about up at my parent's cabin in North Carolina.

file.php

Please let me know what you think. . . .

Sam

Hi Karalee,

It is tricky. I try to make a tripod out of my elbows to hold the camera steady. It does help to shoot at f/5.6 or f/8.0 if you have the light, as the greater depth of focus helps a lot, cause at the brightest apertures DOF can be razor thin. I think I shot that ant at f/2.8 or f/4.0. It helped that there were a lot of ants and I did not have to try to chase one around. . . .Best to start practicing on subject matter that is not moving. And also, make sure your diopter is set exactly right as even being off a little bit can throw the lb macro shots off.

Cool shot on your blog front page right now:)

Sam

Hi Unimaxium,

You might try shooting with the f/5.6 aperture disk to start. The greater depth of focus and larger sweet spot do make it easier than f/2.0 or f/2.8. Also, make sure your diopter is set just right. Finally, I think shooting with the middle two fingers of both hands evenly spaced on the focusing collar gives more control. Enjoy the learning process!

Sincerely,

Sam

another good idea if you are shooting wide open is to bracket for focus. I have also found that the LB with both macro filters on seems to have a native focus so all I do is swing my body forward and backwards to focus.

Most reactions

Back