Lensbaby tips?

I

Iron Flatline

Yo ho, all.

So my Lensbaby 2.0 is on its way. I'll be sticking it on the front of my Canon 5D or my D60.

Before it even gets here (I went with the very slowest shipping method) I thought I'd solicit some actual usability tips.

Can you give me some specific tips on how I might get the most enjoyment out of it? Are you typically using the wider apertures, or just in low light? The diffusion of the light upon bending makes certain areas blurred anyway, so I assume that makes it less important to have a shallow DOF when trying to isolate a subject from its surrounding.

any and all advice will help get me more excited about my new Lensbaby.

The general consensus (and you'll see this in the extremely useful owner's manual) is that the f5.6 ring is the most versatile. You'll still see that undeniable LB effect, but it might be easier to focus.

I've shot mostly 5.6 and also f4 (outside, it was easier). :razz:

The best way to decide what one you like best is to try them all. It's really easy to change them.

I predict you'll be as smitten as the rest of us - and we'll have some new images to look at soon. :razz:

Well, I've spent more time with it recently, so here are my observations:

Supposedly it is close to a 50mm lens at rest, but it seems a little longer. If you put in on a sensor like your Canon Digital Rebel, it starts feeling like an 80mm lens.

I like working with the f/5.6 ring, or even the f/8 ring. It means a greater chance of having something in focus, because you end up with a larger hyperfocal distance. Sometimes it is hard to nail your primary target, don't make your life even more difficult by adding a shallow depth of field to your sweet spot.

So - the length of the lens, coupled with the tighter aperture, means that it works best outdoors.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back