Lensbaby, yes, or no?

shorty6049

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So i am selling my Sony H1, and was thinking about buying a lensbaby for my Alpha. Has anyone used one of these and thought it was worth buying, or thought it wasnt worth it? I'd probably get one of the cheaper versions of it though, because i'm only getting $225 from the sony, and dont want to spend all of it . Whats everyone think of the earlier models? (the ones that arent lockable) Please give me as much as you can, i need help deciding and am having a hard time justifying the price tag. (would it be better just to invest in maybe a used lens or something?)

If it were me, I'd put the money towards some nice glass that filled a gap in my lens collection. Some will say it's worth every penny, others will say it's a passing fad and is sometimes overdone. I've toyed with the idea, but in the end couldn't justify the cost. IMO it's kind of like a fish eye lens in that it's really nice to have about 5% of the time. I've seen it over used just as I've seen people over use the selective coloring in pics. I also have seen others use different methods in photoshop to closely rival the effects.

I'll now slip out quietly before those who adamently love the thing can come tell you how great it is :)

I've never used one and frankly I'm new to taking pictures...but looking at the pictures on the lensbaby website it looks like something that is easily done quickly in photoshop.

So, for me - play with photoshop instead and buy a new lens for your collection!

i agree that it is something that would be easy to recreate in PS, but then its not really creative photography anymore....., its just photo editing... but that is a good point though... thats definately one thing to consider... so ok, then here's another question (but dont stop writing answers for my first one!, ) if i have a 18-70 , a 28-105, a 55mm prime , and a 35-200mm lens, what else would make a good addition to my collection?

i agree that it is something that would be easy to recreate in PS, but then its not really creative photography anymore....., its just photo editing... quote]

I'm not sure putting a funny looking lens on a camera is any more creative than editing with software ;) but, i see your point.

Oh, they're fun! :thumbup:

Are they for every single shot? Of course not - but then neither is a wide angle or portrait lens. When you see a Lensbaby shot, THAT moment is when it is perfect. It's just another way of visualizing, and can be used to great creative advantage. Given the range of apertures that come with it, it's much more versatile than something like a fisheye - you can get as much or as little of that "LB effect" as you want.

Save the bucks and don't buy the latest. They're still easy to use, of very good quality, and you'll have fun with it for many years.

:the Yes side rests: :lol: Have fun deciding.

i like your avatar

i wish my dog could make faces... haha ( i have a miniature schnauzer)

i just feel better about it if i tell someone that i used a lens to create an effect than I do saying i used photoshop....

There are always better versions of the lenses you have :)

I have been thinking about it, once I have a collection (like yours) I think I would go for the second version.

i feel like i'd be buying things that i didnt really need then though, if i bought better versions of my current lenses... were you saying you would go for the second version of the lensbaby?

you could buy faster glass. or a telephoto/macro lens such as a 70-300.

Or better yet, get filters you have been wanting, or a battery grip and extra battery, remote release, nice tripod, a quality flash

If you enjoy your lenses but still want to do macro work, extension tubes.

You could put that money towards some studio lighting if that strikes your fancy.

There are so many accessories that are great to have. I am personally looking to get a battery grip and a flash next for my kit. Then comes studio stuff hopefully, or the sigma 70-300 http://www.adorama.com/SG70300DAPX.html

Personally I'd never buy a lens baby. I dislike the effect and it makes my head hurt. The effect to me is very much like selective coloring (overboard), and anyone who see's your pictures and doesnt know about the lens baby is going to assume it was done in photoshop anyways.

I have a LensBaby 2.0, and use it rarely. I will use it when I'm bored. I usually come back from a day of shooting with a few good images. I don't think I achieve the look in Photoshop, but a question of working with a lens in the field.

After all is said, I'm not sure it was worth buying. It's a bit of a novelty. But hey, photography is a fun hobby for me, and this lens goes hand in hand with that.

i agree that it is something that would be easy to recreate in PS, but then its not really creative photography anymore....., its just photo editing... quote]

Before digital, Half of the photography was done in the camera, and the other half in the dark-room, messing around with very smelly, very dangerous chemicals to produce dodging, burning, toning multi-neg compositions etc etc...
Now that we are digital, so is our dark room. You still have to get it right in camera to get the best results. and you still have to know what to do and how to do it. PhotoShop is a tool . NOT a messiah..

I have just been on the web site and to be honest I haven't seen anything that is not really easy to do in PhotoShop. And you would still have the original to use in a different way if you wanted to.

Any comments on that one?

Most reactions

Back