Lense essentials

tulla4122

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am wondering what others find to be their lens essentials. I have three lens's. I have two basic kit lens, a 18-55, a 200 mm? ( nikon ) and a Tamron 300mm lens. All ok but nothing spectacular.
What do you consider a good all around lens. and two more you would not do without. Preferably from Nikon since that is what I have.

Better?

Last edited:
I am wondering what others find to be their lense essentials. I have three lenses. I have two basic kit lenses, a 18-55, a 200 mm? ( nikon ) and a Tamron 300mm lense. All ok but nothing spectacular.
What do you consider a good all around lense. and two more you would not do without. Preferably from Nikon since that is what I have.

The 18-200 is an excellent "walkaround" lens. I have one and I'm very happy with it. HOWEVER, I try to avoid using it as much as is possible because I much prefer the results with primes. My favorites are the 85mm f/1.8 and 50mm f/1.4.

I find it essential to know the spelling of "lens".
Lens is properly spelled in two ways: lens and lense

Lense Definition | Definition of Lense at Dictionary.com

Lens Definition | Definition of Lens at Dictionary.com

While Nikon's 18-200 mm is handy as a walkaround lens, the image quality is acceptable but not excellent. Nikon's 18-200 mm has some of, if not the worst barrel distortion in the entire Nikon line. For many photographers the +10x zoom convienience outweighs any image quality issues.

Actually, any all around lens will be a collection of compromises (like the 18-200) that diminish image quality in various ways. That's why DSLR's have an interchangable lens feature in the first place. So the photographer can mount to the camera the lens that works best for the particular shooting situation.

Last edited:
2 lenses? Can I go with 3?
A wide angle, a 50mm prime and a telephoto
With my crop camera....10-22mm, 50mm 1.4 and 70-200 2.8 IS.

If I had to chose from my current lens set, Canon 10-22mm and my Tamron 28-75mm.

It really depends on what type of photography you like doing and also what camera you have. I'm thinking a D40, D60?

I know Canon has a great 24-105 lens for walking around doing street photography, but it can be a bit long as it only goes to 24.

Back to the original question.

Everyone will have a particular set they consider essential. Mine are 17-55 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 85 f1.4 and 50 f1.8 all used on a crop sensor Nikon.

It really depends on what type of photography you like doing

This! Also a price range for what you'd like to get.

Also it will help to tell us what body you have. Some Nikons don't have a focus motor in the body, so you'll need an AF-S lens or deal with focusing manually.

Nice to see the spelling police out again!! Lighten up!!

I find it essential to know the spelling of "lens".

Agreed. My published English dictionaries say "lens". The misspelled version is NOT correct or accepted as an alternative (except perhaps for those idiots who can't spell.) :lol:

skieur

I am wondering what others find to be their lens essentials. I have three lens's. I have two basic kit lens, a 18-55, a 200 mm? ( nikon ) and a Tamron 300mm lens. All ok but nothing spectacular.
What do you consider a good all around lens. and two more you would not do without. Preferably from Nikon since that is what I have.

Better?

My best all around lens....if given the choice of only having one, would be the 70-200 2.8. That and my 28-70 2.8 I would consider my essentials. My other lenses I could do without, but really wouldn't want to.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back