Lense quality - Canon, Sigma, Tamron

juju

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

ive noticed lately some really really nice pics taken with Sigma and Tamron lenses.

not sure why but for my Eos 400D ive always bought canon lenses as i assumed they would be the better choice. is this necessarily the case or do Sigma and Tamron lenses for Canon cameras perform just aswell cause ive noticed i could save a few quid on an upcoming purchase

Both Sigma and Tamron make some awesome lenses that can perform just as good as the Canon version for a much more reasonable price. But just like canon, they also make some not as good lenses.

If you get nit-picky about it, you really have to look at lens for lens. Sometimes the canon comes out sharper, sometimes the sigma. But i would never worry about a Sigma or Tampon or even Tokina not performing well. I've been very happy with a friends sigma 17-80 f/2.8-4 macro. Incredible lens for the price.

Definitely look at it lens-for lens. Do your research, read reviews, if you're about to buy a lens ask about it here, and go hold the lenses.

It goes lens by lens. Some are awesome, some are not so awesome. Everyone makes good and bad. Just read reviews and see what people on here have found.

Generally speaking, the Pro-Level lenses from Sigma, Tokina and Tamron all have about the same IQ/resolution as a Pro-Level lens from Canon (L series). Typically, a Canon L lens will cost a ton more, but they are generally much better built and may focus just a fraction of a second faster.

The better construction comes to play if you are shooting like a a news photog, everyday, in all types of dirty environments and in situations where the image is more important than the equipment.

Under normal use, 3rd party lenses are just fine and will out live your camera body. Go to www.photozone.de for an independant lab analysis of lenses.

Gary

why not take your camera body to a store and test the lenses for yourself, on your camera. take the card home and review on your monitor.

if you can tell which lens make the image you will have your answer.

I would test each focal length. wide open and stopped down.

It is also important to note that none of the camera manufacturers have actually made the lens' interface public. All of the third party manufacturers all rely on reverse engineering to make their lenses compatible with later AF SLR cameras.

With that said... the third party vendors have done a wonderful job of making sure their lenses are compatible with the latest camera bodies. At times, you'll see that a rechipping is required to fix some sort of compatiblity issue. Sigma is an example as they recently have started rechipping their lenses for better compatibility with later Canon DSLRs (started with the 10D).

Performance wise, all lens manufacturers (except Leica.. I'm joking) have good and bad lenses. You have to do research on each lens individually. I have an old slower AF Tamron 35-105 f2.8 Asph that performs wonderfully as well as a Tokino 19-35mm cheapy lens that produces amazingly nice photos (for the price)... some call it the "plastic wonder".

Interesting how people always forget "Tokina" when they think third party lenses. Tokina does have some good (relatively inexpensive) options for various lenses. The company was started by a bunch of Nikon engineers, which is strange since I don't see much Tokina talk among Nikonians, and their glass is manufactured by Hoya (one of the largest manufacturers of high quality optical glass). I do believe Tokina also partnered up with Pentax and is the core designer of some of Pentax AF lenses too...

A while back, I answered an ad on the NJ craigslist concerning the sale of a Canon DSLR. The fellow lived and worked at a studio in Montclair. It ended up to be the studio of a pretty well known photojournalist who was published in several magazines including National Geographic. I had no idea until I showed up at the address with cash in hand. This professional freelance photographer shot exclusively with Canon bodies and Sigma lenses. I never really took Sigma seriously (for some unknown reason) but the next time I'm in the market for a new lens, I will definitely take a look. If he can depend on Sigma for his living, I figure this amateur can at least look into Sigma options in the future.

cool thanks for that, think ill take my body down the shop and try some out

If you need to save money Sigma, and Tamron are perfectly acceptable lenses but you are better off buying the branded glass.

........But i would never worry about a Sigma or Tampon or even Tokina not performing well. I've been very happy with a friends sigma 17-80 f/2.8-4 macro. Incredible lens for the price.

I see what you did there, criptic typo, aaaahhh *taps nose & crosses Tamron off list*

It is also important to note that none of the camera manufacturers have actually made the lens' interface public. All of the third party manufacturers all rely on reverse engineering to make their lenses compatible with later AF SLR cameras.quote]

Acutally, Nikon granted Fuji the rights to use most of their D80 technology inside the Finepix S2 Pro. The S2 Pro is essentially a Nikon D80 with a Fuji label. The S3 and S5 also use proprietary Nikon technology, but to what extent I am not sure. Virtually any lens that fits the Nikon D80 will be completely compatable with the S2. Also, the Nikon SB-28 Speedlight is completely compatable with the S2 as well.

Interesting how people always forget "Tokina" when they think third party lenses. Tokina does have some good (relatively inexpensive) options for various lenses.

I've seen Tokina glass on other bodies. It's not shabby.

I never talk about Tokina though because unfortunately they do not make glass for Olympus, they haven't joined the 4/3rds club and paid for membership to the specs. Being the Olympus system is my preference, I can't really use Tokina glass.

One cannot globally say this one is better than that or that "brand X" is better than third party lenses... not anymore in today's market.

You have to research first what you want (prime, telephoto, macro, etc...), then field the list of competitors. Next research reviews on the web for each... keep track, there are TONS of opinions you will get.

Lastly pair it down to around 2 choices and those are the ones that you are going to want to try yourself. The only time I would not do a showdown between 2 lenses personally in my own hands is if the winner in public opinion, public review and magazine reports is so much stronger in options/performance that a personal test is not really needed... and if you feel a little lucky. In other words, try both out anyways, if you can.

There are times when 3rd party are simply better than OEM brands, and other times that you should not skimp and need to "pay to play".

Doing your homework is the surest way you will be happy with your choices. The more homework you do... the more informed you become and the better your choice (in the end) will be.

It is also important to note that none of the camera manufacturers have actually made the lens' interface public. All of the third party manufacturers all rely on reverse engineering to make their lenses compatible with later AF SLR cameras.

Acutally, Nikon granted Fuji the rights to use most of their D80 technology inside the Finepix S2 Pro. The S2 Pro is essentially a Nikon D80 with a Fuji label. The S3 and S5 also use proprietary Nikon technology, but to what extent I am not sure. Virtually any lens that fits the Nikon D80 will be completely compatable with the S2. Also, the Nikon SB-28 Speedlight is completely compatable with the S2 as well.

All of the Fuji S-line professional DSLRs are re-badged Nikons, but with different types of sensors.

The S2 Pro was based off of the Nikon N80 film SLR, not the D80 DSLR which came out four years after the S2. As was the S3.

The more recent S5 Pro is based off of the D200.

Because of this, the Fujifilm S-line has Nikon F mounts.

Most reactions

Back