Lenses and Such for a Beginner

Goose85

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well I am new to photography!
Back in Oct I bought a Nikon D5100. I also have a 55-300mm Lens and a 18-55mm lens.

I am looking for a Lens to take great baby pictures, a lens thats great for wide angle (aka landscapes) and then a macro (micro??) lens.
But I do not know what to look for or get, I also don't know what is the best next lens to get for what I want.

Priority for me is probably a good lens for portraits/babies and nature/landscapes, and I am wondering what types of lenses to get.
Also what tips do you have for taking such pics?

I am still a beginner, so I'd rather not spend a total fortune, and I don't need to be totally professional, as its just for fun.
But just wondering what next lenses are great to get and I should put as a priority to buy?

Personally, I think a 50mm f/1.8 is the best buy there is for beginners. Right around $100, sharp and fast.

Budget?
Mike is right about the 50. It's cheap as hell, but will give you a taste of better quality, low light, bokeh and make it much easier to learn cuz the aperture doesn't change.

I don't mind spending some money on a lens, but at this stage I'd rather not spend $800+ on a lens.

I offered to take baby pics of my new nephew, would that be a recommended lens? (My camera does take amazing pictures, regardless). But looking for a lens to be able to take more unique pictures.

Honestly? Your 18-55 can do a pretty darned credible job. No matter what lens you use you need good lighting and that's the real key.
I'd probably buy the Nifty fifty and maybe the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 or 17-50 f/2.8? Both are under $500.
I shoot newborns with a 70-200 f/2.8 and the Tamron version can be had under your budget. I believe the older sigma version can be found under there too.

Ok, that's awesome! And yeah, I know my basic lens takes amazing pics! I am VERY happy with my camera thus far.

How do you suggest lighting and good VS bad lighting (maybe I should look around the forum, lol). The lighting bit really makes me confused... I have no idea how to "get good lighting"

Personally, I think a 50mm f/1.8 is the best buy there is for beginners. Right around $100, sharp and fast.
And pretty much perfectly unusuable on a D5100, since the D5100 has no autofocus motor and trying manual focus on a D5100 is frankly a task for masochists. :confused:

I would recomment the 35mm f/1.8 DX that I'm using.

Or, if you're set on getting 50mm, get the AF-S version. It can autofocus and its even a tiny bit better, optically. Its more like 200$, though.

Nikon now makes a 50 1.8 with the motor I believe.

Good lighting is PLENTY of light. And I mean plenty. If you have a north facing window in the middle of the day you are usually pretty good with it. Otherwise you need to find one or a speedlight that you can bounce.

Yes there is an AF-S version of the 50mm f/1.8, but its not as cheap as the AF one (which needs an autofocus motor in the camera not present in the D5100 in order to autofocus).

A flash what allow you to bounce the light off the wall or ceiling is also a nice tool to have.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back