lenses/attachments for Rebel T2i... started with the 50mm

jasonbrianmerrill

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi!

<---it's correct, im a total noob

someone had suggested me to start out with this 50mm portrait lens - probably so I could take pictures of my gf's art... and start out simple.

However, I eventually want to do landscapes, pictures that have a bit more depth of field when it comes to focusing (It would be nice to get more than one person in the shot hehe) and macro photos, and I don't want to spend a ton of money. I am looking at a few things at the moment, such as this:

Amazon.com: Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

and the 18-55mm that comes with the typical kit.

I am somewhat at a loss for this and a hotshoe flash. I really don't know much :(

any help would be greatly appreciated.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I also have a T2i, and I also got the 50mm lense to start with....

After that I decided to get the 28-135mm EF, which are very easy to find used since they are the kit lense with the 7D

The best thing you could do is pick up a book and read it, I actually got the book "Canon 550D (T2i) for dummies" and it not only introduced me to my camera, but also to digital photography. Another thing you can do is just look around the internet for articles about a certain subject youre confused on, that has always helped me. Whenever you cant find anything about a subject? Ask here, theres plenty of people here willing to help. Just one more thought, if youre looking into a lens check the fourm to see if there is a thread about it. Hope that part helped and as far as lenses go a price range would help considerably since everyones definition of "a ton of money" is varied.

looking to spend about 200-400 per lens.

I just figured I could get some basic guidelines on what I could need. A way to have a varied arsenal for shooting the types of things I want to shoot :D

forums are how i learn best, conversations... not books.

but thank you!

Yeah i totally forgot about the other side of the fence while writing that. :er: Sorry about that.
The 50mm you were suggested was it the 1.8 or the 1.4? Either or they are both great lenses to start with, My 50mm is on my camera most of the time and i love it to death!
I can't find myself suggesting lenses, since ive only used a couple, but! I have used the 55-250 and i can say that it is a good lens (from my amateur perspective) and with the price range specified what's not to love about it?

Hi there-

I'm a newbie too, same camera as you, and I am also venturing into some better lenses! I've been told by my experienced photog friends that the 100 mm 2.8 macro is a fantastic and versatile must-have lens. :) Great for macro and portrait photography as well!

I find that examining customer images around Amazon and similar sites helps me decide how the lens will fit my style of shooting. If you see results you like, then it's a no-brainer. Also, check customer reviews.

If you can afford it, try renting lenses from your local camera shop or online. Before I spend anything over $100 for a lens, I always rent one first which has saved me quite a few times when I discovered after a LOT of research a lens I had chosen was not actually the best choice. Or, if you have friend with Canon's, ask about borrowing a lens from them.

A good place to start might be a "normal" perspective lens. For a crop body that would be either the Canon 35mm f2.0 at about $330, or the Sigma 30mm f1.4 at about $440. I'd stretch the extra $110 for the Sigma, better lens all around, it's on my 50D most of the time. As suggested already, the Canon 28-135 is pretty decent and I would think you could grab one on e-bay at a pretty good discount. For your budget, there are a couple good primes, but any nice zoom with good IQ is going to run $500 and up. There are of course zooms in your price range and cheaper, but IMHO, they really aren't worth owning as you'll just end up selling them down the road at a discount and buying something better. Save a step and some money and buy good glass right off the bat.

Or, if you were planning on buying more than one lens at $200-$400 a piece, just buy the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8. $500 and nice IQ.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Remember to consider crop factor when considering lenses.
If you like primes; a 35 f/2 to give you a normal is probably you next stop. Other than a Samyung 14 f/2.8 you probably cant get a reasonably priced wide prime for crop.
I'd definitely give consideration to one of the fast zooms in the 17-18 - 50-55 sort of range as this is a good walk around lens to give nice wide to short tele coverage; and constant aperture is much nicer than f/5.6 at the long end.
As for the 100mm Macro; yeah, its a great lens but on crop its fairly tight for portraits (anything full body or environmental that is). The ef-s 60mm f/2.8 macro is also meant to be a great lens but of course then only for crop and will give a shorter working distance which makes it harder for any insect macros.

On flashes; I'd say learn with natural light and only when you can manage that well start branching into flash photography.
Other bits and pieces; Circular Polarising Filter along with Neutral Density and Graduated Neutral Density Filters are the only filters you cannot replicate in post processing. A proper GND set up is expensive and if you don't shoot a lot of landscapes isn't likely to be worth it for you (particularly just starting out). Other thing to look at is getting a tripod; and not some cheap flimsy one - if you get a good one and take care of it it will last forever.

Last edited:
I started with the 50mm also and it is on the camera most of the time. I bought the kit lens 18-55 IS and the 55-250 also and there is not a lot of situations where you wont be covered with these. In comparison to the more upmarket expensive lenses it seems you could pay 4 times the cost for a lens to get a noticable difference in quality. I have got great photos with both lenses and would recommend them. But dont be fooled by "macro" written on the box of every second lens for sale, it can be misleading. I also bought a yongnuo yn-460 flash for 55 euro on ebay (about 75 dollars I think). It has ttl which your canon can control and I find it excellent. I cant compare it to Canons own but you would have a good piece of kit for a small enough outlay. The thing about flash is if you decide you want a better one the second one can always come in handy. Hope this is of some help

Most reactions

Back