Lenses compatible?

philviking

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting on this site. I have been considering buying the Nikon D80. It is obviously cheaper to buy just the body.Having a Nikon f55 already i was wondering if the Lenses are compatible.Ie will all nikon lenses fit all digital SLRS.You advice is much appreciated.

Yes. Nikon has kept the same lens fitting, so you can use any Nikon lens. The only thing is the computer functions of older lenses on newer cameras. Someone more understanding than me can explain all the details, but in dummy terms - they didn't have the same computer/automatic technologies years ago, so don't expect an old lens to do everything automatic. But if you're using it manual (like any good photographer should!) an old lens will work great.
That detemined my decision to go with Nikon.

The D80, unlike the other Nikon DSLR's needs to have CPU lenses in order to boot. So if the lenses are AF then they will all work. If they are manual focus, they won't.

As far as I know non-AI lenses will not mount on any modern bodies. AI lenses will mount on the D200, D2X and D2H. But IIRC the D50/70/80/100/1H/1X does not have an aperature ring clip and requires the lense to set the aperature electronically.

I just finished researching this for the exact same reasons.

/EDIT: To identify the lens:

Non-AI lenses have little bunny ears that move a little knob on the camera body.
AI lenses may have bunny ears, but definitely have a little stepped metal part on the back of the aperature ring near the f/22 mark.
AF lenses have electrical contacts on the lens mount.

Thanks for the manual Dave, very useful. Looking at it the lenses i have already, will be compatible.

Any Nikkor AI lens will work with the Nikon DSLR's...you just have to shoot in full manual mode. You will also be able to use the camera meter to a point. For you to feel confident about this, check it out on the web. Many sites talk about this issue.

In light of comments I should clarify. If you have a Non-CPU lens for the D80 AFAIK you will need to set the aperature on the lens, and then ALSO tell the camera what aperature you set. They WILL mount they just won't be very automatic.

With the D200 body the camera can read the aperature but not the focal distance off the lens, so adjusting the aperature is a matter of turning the ring only.

Modern lenses are all automatic and AF G type lenses have no external aperature ring.

Most reactions

Back