Lenses for beginners

Dave Devoid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all.

When i finally get my Nikon D3200 it will come with the standard 18-55mm lens.

What other lenses would you recommend for me?

I will have a fairly limited budget (So the cheaper the better) and would like a good portrait lens, Macro and i really like the fisheye effects, so a good fisheye would be great too.

What other makes rather than the Nikon Nikkor would you also suggest. Im hearing Tamron is OK and ive seen a Samyang fisheye which seems to be good value.

Thanks in advance.

Dave :D

It would help if you stated how much you actually want to spend as "fairly limited budget" is a relative term.

The 50 1.8D makes a good portrait lens on a crop body, however it would be manual focus only for you, since the D3200 lacks an internal focus motor.

Nikon Normal AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Autofocus Lens 2137 B&H Photo

The AF-s version, which would autofocus on the D3200 is nearly twice the price.

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Lens 2199 B&H Photo Video

Since it sounds like you haven't purchased the body yet, maybe you should think about a D90. Better controls and includes an internal focus motor. You could pick up a nice used one for less than the D3200, and save even more money when you buy glass.

Damn...Didnt even think about auto focus to be fair....

I just thought it did all that sort of stuff.....

Im really new to this so thought the D3200 would be a good starting point...looks like i need to look into it all a bit more....

As far a price is concerned. I wouldnt want to spend more than a few hundred pounds on each lens at the moment...

Thanks for the help so far..

Dave

If you really not sure what lens to get, then maybe just use the lens that shipped with the camera for now. Once you shoot more, know more and demand more, you should know what to get next.

I think you summed it up for me to be honest.

Im really not sure what to do, so no point spending money on the wrong equipment...

Thanks.

Dave

Just get the D3200 body and then buy the 18-70 on eBay.
It's a better lens to start with.

nmasters said:

Nikon 18-70 f3.5 to 4.5 to be specific

Dont let the lack of focus motor bother you too much. Almost all the recent releases from Nikon have been lenses with motors built in. Unless you plan on buying older lenses not having a focus motor is not an issue. I have the D3100 (also lacks focus motor) and have been extremely happy with it.

I'd suggest a fast prime, either the 50 or the 35 f/1.8. I find the 50 to be a bit long on a cropped sensor, the 35 is roughly the equivalent of 50 on a full frame. The prime will A) allow you to shoot more in the dark without using flash C) have more control over DOF and C) because it doesn't zoom, it will force you to think a bit more about framing and composing your photos.

nmasters said:

Nikon 18-70 f3.5 to 4.5 to be specific

THAT IS, according to a RECENT (this month!!) survey of over 10,000 Nikon owners on Thom Hogans website, the single MOST-SOLD DX Nikkor lens!!! "Sold" as in boughtm, then sold off. WHy so many sell-offs? I think because of the huge lkure of the later 18-200VR and the second version 18-200, and the 18-300 VR lens models. So,since the 18-70 DX has been sold off by so,so many DX NIkon shootersthere are LOADS of nice 18-70mm DX Nikkor zooms on the used market. A plus for you! I have only used one once, for about 40 frames, borrowed from a random Nikon shooter I met at the seashore, who wanted to try my 70-300 VR, and I wanted some wide-angle shots...I LIKED the size and feel and fit of the 18-70 DX...and the pics it took were quite decent. I thought it was a pretty nice little lens!

The D3200 is a great camera for an awesome price... don't let the lack of focus motor (or other features) talk you out of it. Lots of people dump tons of cash into a hobby they don't know if they'll enjoy. The D3200 is a great starting point. (note: If you have the cash to spare... a D7000 or D600 wouldn't hurt :) ).

IMHO... I would get the D3200 kit and a prime lens.

Nikon 35mm 1.8g $199(US)... or the Nikon 50mm 1.8G $219(US).

The 35mm is a great all around lens. Its wider then the 50mm and better for tight spots (indoor's.. etc). The 50mm will be a bit more handy for portraits and will work on FX bodies if you ever upgrade. Either one is a good choice...

A simple 1.8 prime will teach you more about photography just by playing with it. DOF, Composistion and Exposure all take a little more thought with a prime :)

Macro and Fisheye... Both seem to be very appealing to beginners, but in the end people get tired of them quickly. If your set on spending the money... you're only FishEye option is the Nikon 10.5mm DX ($700US). For Macro i'd look at the Nikon 60mm Micro f/2.8g.

Good luck and have fun!

D3200 with the new expeed processor rocks

Im really appreciating all this feedback...

Im glad most of you think the 3200 is a good buy...I got a feeling my wife has already got it for me....lol..

My step Dad has the 3100, as hes just started too. He wished he had waited a few months and gone for the 3200, Although he really likes his 3100.

Im also hearing from most that your lenses stay with you, where as you can always change the body, so it would be nice to get the best one for the job i guess. The deciding factor will always be cash flow...

Again. Thanks for all the advice and feedback.. :D

Personally I would shoot for something with a large aperture giving you the shallow DOF (depth of field). The shots the really excite me are the one's where the subject is super sharp and the background is out of focus/blurred/bokeh.

I have the 35mm f1.8 and it is awesome but lately I have been shooting nightclub stuff so I need something wider and with some zoom. I had a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 and loved that lens but wasn't wide enough sometimes so I sold it for the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 which is a great lens, but I think I got a unit that is not ultra sharp.

Both of those lenses are a bargain compared to the Nikon equivalents.

I started with a d5100 and a 18-55...that lens will go pretty close, like 1 to 3 on its' own. Even though the build quality of that lens isn't the greatest, the image quality isn't bad at all. At 18 it is as wide as most people will ever need and at At 55mm it does a descent job at portraits. So I wouldn't recommend any otherworldly lenses until YOU know what you need. My second lens was a 55-200 kit lens I bought at Walmart. It allows me to get nice closeups of my grandsons soccer. I've now expanded my rig but I'm glad I started simple. It gave me time to concentrate on the camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back