Lenses for DSLR's

gt123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a Canon EOS 650 35mm camera with 2 Canon lenses.
EF 35-70mm and EF 70-210mm
I want to go digital and am thinking of getting the Rebel XTi

My question is will these lenses work on the XTi?

Thabks in advance

Yes they will. Canon DSLRs accept any lens for the EOS system, which are labeled "EF". The Rebel, Rebel XT, Rebel XTI, 20D, and 30D also accept a new type of lens called an EF-S lens. You wouldn't be able to use an EF-S lens on any other Canon camera, digital or film. Your best bet is to stick with EF lenses if you plan to upgrade to a full frame DSLR, or continue to use a 35mm SLR.

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, any EF lens will work on any Canon EOS camera...film or digital.

One thing to keep in mind though...is the crop factor. The sensor (digital film) in that camera is smaller than 35mm film...so when using those lenses...only the middle of the image will be recorded...essentially 'cropping' off the edges. The factor is 1.6
So your 35-70 lens will feel like a 56-112mm lens. This can be great for telephoto shooting...but it also makes it hard to get a wide view.

For this reason, I suggest getting the kit lens that usually comes with the camera. It's the EF-S 18-55. Note that EF-S lenses do not work on EOS film cameras...so while your EF lenses will work on both film and digital...an EF-S lens will not work on your 650.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back