Lenses for portrait photography

raebelle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a canon rebel t6. Very basic since I am brand new to photography. I have read I need an 85mm instead of the basic 55mm for portrait pictures. Does it really matter?

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

You might eventually. Try using what you have and learn and practice and practice and practice... You'll probably start realizing if I had ___ I could do ___ and you'll figure out what you need. You're already figuring out the 50mm may not be what you need for everything you're doing. Used could be an option.

you don't "need" any particular focal length, but there are pro/cons (aka differences) between any two focal lengths.

assuming both the 55mm and 85mm are 1.8 -- similarly frame, the 85mm will add a lot more compression and will more than likely provide a subjectively more pleasant background.

at the same time, if you actually want to provide more of the environment in your image, it's going to be harder to do at 85mm where you will have to back-up significantly away from the subject.

I tend to use my 58mm for general portraits where I want to include the environment. I'll swap it for my 85mm or 70-200, when I want a tighter frame and eliminate the BG from the image.

If you're shooting head-shots, not full body, it's generally better to use a longer lens for a number of factors.

USE THE 55MM ZOOM SETTING as your semi-selective angle of view, as if it were an 88mm focal length on a traditional 35mm film SLR.

Does it really matter?
Assuming you will frame each shot the same, and you will walk closer (or farther) as you change lenses, the closer you are, and using a wide-angle lens, your subject will look somewhat distorted. By using a longer lens and backing away, there is less distortion. See the differences using this comparison:

camerafocallength.png

Beginning at the upper left corner, you see a long lens, and each shot then uses a shorter (wider) lens until the widest at the lower right corner.

YES,it matters. As the above,eight-photo example shows.

I use an 85 f 1.8 for potraits on the full frame and a nifty fifty (f1.8) on the crop sensor (what you have). I also have the 55 kit lens you have but it is a slow lens and I don't use it for portraits -- the bokeh is not as good. A nifty 50 is only about $100 new. I think you would like the results.

I use an 85 f 1.8 for potraits on the full frame and a nifty fifty (f1.8) on the crop sensor (what you have). I also have the 55 kit lens you have but it is a slow lens and I don't use it for portraits -- the bokeh is not as good. A nifty 50 is only about $100 new. I think you would like the results.
Thanks beat me to it lol I was going to say don't forget to allow for the fact that the camera is not full frame YES the
nifty fifty is brill. People look at the plastic and run not realising it is a brill lens

The 85 is a solid performer, but don't rule out anything simply because its popular.
i have shot nice portraits with an approx. 60mm on a zoom lens and a bunch on an old 135.

As previously mentioned, the actual lens size really isn't the biggest factor per se. but the 85mm allows for a pretty close 1:1.

Most reactions

Back