Lenses for portraiture photography?

HannahsHiccups

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So hello everybody, I'm new here :)

Recently in the past few years I have began photography, and I am really enjoying it and gradually increasing my skills and knowledge.
I started with a Canon 400D and the standard 18-55mm lens, and then went on to buy myself a 70-300mm and a Canon 550D.

I'm particularly interested in portraiture photography, and so I was wondering if anyone could give me advice into a good lens to use for such photographs? I've experimented before with a 50mm, which I absolutely adored and am most likely going to buy next, but I was just curious to know if anyone knows of another lens they would reccomend?

Thanks a lot for any help you can give ;)

(I have attatched a image I took when I first started photography, just to give you an idea of my style and the sort of photographs I like to take ~ hopefully I attatched it correctly :blushing:)

Welcome! The 50mm is a great lens. If you can spend the extra $300, I'd go for the 50mm 1.4 over the 1.8. The build quality and focusing motor is so much better, compared to the 1.8. Good luck!

Well. You deff want an 18mm or even wider for those really annoying portraits taken from above that make their head look huge.

I never did much portraiture, but I preferred 135mm in 35mm, which works out to be, what - 80mm in APS-C?

My favorite portrait lens was the Nikon AF-S 200 mm f/2G ED VR II prime lens.

My second favorite portrait lens was the Nikon AF DC 135 mm f/2D. Third favorite was the Nikon AF 85 mm f/1.4D 'Cream Machine'.

It's to bad you shoot Canon. ;)

Canon's EF 85mm f/1.8 is a pretty good portraiture lens. I have one. It's got good balance on the smaller Canon bodies, which is a nice thing. Price is very affordable. Focal length range is very workable. It's well-made, focuses fast, easily, and repeatably. It offers a lot of value for the amount of money spent.

Well. You deff want an 18mm or even wider for those really annoying portraits taken from above that make their head look huge.

I never did much portraiture, but I preferred 135mm in 35mm, which works out to be, what - 80mm in APS-C?

What about maths, think you got that back to front

What about maths, think you got that back to front

80*1.6=128mm; sure 85 would be closer.

so yeah. i think i'm ok.

85mm on Canon body APS-C is multiply by 1.6 crop = 136mm. 50mm = 80mm. I have the Canon 85mm 1.8 and I love that lens for portraits. Since it's 136mm on cropped body, you get it only if you do outside portraits. The Sigma 50mm 1.4 is also a very nice lens, it's sharp and the bokeh is beautiful.

I also really like the Canon 85mm 1.8. Excellent lens for the money (as long as you don't want to focus it manually). But nice and sharp, nice autofocus, nice bokeh, nice build, you get the idea... I don't agree with the blanket statement that it's only for outside, it's large aperture makes it great in available inside light. Its long, yes, but, as long as you've got 2-3 meters you can get a fine portrait.

so does that mean on a crop sensor frame you'd want a 50 mm or would you still want an 85mm range for portraits. this seems to still be confusing me. i thought that with a 85mm on a crop sensor and 85mm on a full frame would be the same. just the full frame would show you more of the surroundings because your getting more picture.

so does that mean on a crop sensor frame you'd want a 50 mm or would you still want an 85mm range for portraits. this seems to still be confusing me. i thought that with a 85mm on a crop sensor and 85mm on a full frame would be the same. just the full frame would show you more of the surroundings because your getting more picture.

You're basically right. The difference is field of view. So, if you put a 50 on a crop, it looks the way an 85 would on a full frame. And an 85 on crop looks like a 135 does on full frame. They're both nice portrait lenses, it all depends on what you like and where you shoot. Generally, longer focal lengths are preferred for portraits because they allow better background separation, but they also mean you need to stand further back. Set your zoom to 50, and shoot it for a while, and then set it to 85 and shoot that for a while, and you can decide if 85 is too tight for you.

okay. just have read about how the wider angle lenses can get things like a person nose to distort and look longer, so if that would happen on a 50mm id want to go with something more along the lines of the 85mm. i'll have to see if i can work with the 85mm range next time i shoot.

okay. just have read about how the wider angle lenses can get things like a person nose to distort and look longer, so if that would happen on a 50mm id want to go with something more along the lines of the 85mm. i'll have to see if i can work with the 85mm range next time i shoot.

Usually when people talk about that distortion they're referring to way wider lenses, 50 will be fine. 35 is even fine most of the time.

I will go get 50 mm and 85 mm.
But if i can have just one, I'll go get 50mm.

Most reactions

Back