Lenses for rebel k2 and 30d?

therustytracks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had to buy a 35mm slr for my major today. I ended up just getting a rebel k2. I've been using my girlfriend's canon 40d more than she has lately and love it. This christmas i plan on buying myself the 30d because that's the closest thing to the 40d that i can afford. I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I'd like to get a few lenses as well, but i'd like to be able to use them on both cameras. I know the canon ef lenses are compatible with both cameras but this lady at my local photo shop told me that i can't use the lenses from the dslr on the 35mm because it will distort the picture like a fisheye. Is this true? If not can anyone recommend some decent lenses that will work on both cameras. I'd like to have a 300mm zoom lens for wildlife photography. and some nice wide angle lenses that will be versatile enough for me to grow with as a new photographer. I really enjoy shooting wildlife, but i haven't really had a chance to shoot anything else except for landscapes and i love that also. I'd like to do some macro work and some city skylines. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

All EF lenses will work on any EOS camera (film AND digital). However, EF-S lenses will only work on digital with an APS-C size sensor (like the XT, XTi, 30D, 4D...) as the image circle is too small to cover full frame (24x36mm). However, for any given lens, the field of view will be different on your film and digital camera (because the sensor in the 30D is smaller than a 24x36mm piece of film in the K2). Google the terms 'crop factor' if you are not aware of it to understand this better if I did not explain properly.

thanks, i understand the "crop factor". A 300mm lens on the k2 will look like a 300mm lens and on the 30d i think it's suppose to give the effect of a 420mm lens. I wasn't quite sure what she was telling me. I knew that i couldn't use the ef-s lens with the k2, but i didn't want to puchase a lens with the intent of using it on both cameras and find out after a roll of film that the lens distorts the pictures.

thanks, i understand the "crop factor". A 300mm lens on the k2 will look like a 300mm lens and on the 30d i think it's suppose to give the effect of a 420mm lens. I wasn't quite sure what she was telling me. I knew that i couldn't use the ef-s lens with the k2, but i didn't want to puchase a lens with the intent of using it on both cameras and find out after a roll of film that the lens distorts the pictures.

If you put an EF-S lens on an EOS film camera, the image won't be distorted but it won't cover the whole frame; you'll end up with black corners.
Also the crop factor for Canon is 1.6. So a 300mm on a digital Canon such as XT or 40D will behave like a 480mm (300mmx1.6=480mm) in terms of field of view when compared to a 35mm camera

If you put an EF-S lens on an EOS film camera, the image won't be distorted but it won't cover the whole frame; you'll end up with black corners.
Also the crop factor for Canon is 1.6. So a 300mm on a digital Canon such as XT or 40D will behave like a 480mm (300mmx1.6=480mm) in terms of field of view when compared to a 35mm camera
Just to clarify, even if you didn't care about the black corners, you can't use an EF-S lens on a film EOS camera because the rear of the lens would block the mirror from moving.

thanks guys, that really helped me out. Now i'm not as worried as i was before. any lens suggestions? I surf a lot and i was wondering what type of lens i should use to catch some closeups of waves and my friends from the beach?

Most reactions

Back