Lenses for the Nikon D80

Trent River

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm brand new here, probably posting in the wrong place and otherwise violating all the usual protocols. I apologize in advance.

I have two old Nikons that use film along with an assortment of Nikkor lens for them. I'd like to get a digital, such as the D80. If I can use my old lens, I'll only need to purchase the camera body. But I haven't yet found a clear, unequivocal answer as to whether I can use my old AF Nikkor lens on the D80.

Can someone please help me out?

Welcome.

Basically all lenses from the 60's till now will work on your D80... however, if they have no ability to be autofocused by the camera, you will need to focus them manually yourself.

Though age has little to do with quality, as I have a really nice 1973 Nikkor 35mm F/1.4 lens and manual focus issues aside, the results are excellent. If it has the Nikon bayonette mount, it will fit. Have you tried it yet?

Welcome.

If it has the Nikon bayonette mount, it will fit. Have you tried it yet?

Thanks, Jerry. If the "it" you refer to is the D80 camera, no I haven't tried it. I live on the far side of the boondocks; the nearest camera store is almost an hour's drive. But I'll make the trip if there's any question about compatibility.

Guess I was hoping the answer to my question was so obvious that only a fool (gulp) would need to ask it.

I'm brand new here, probably posting in the wrong place and otherwise violating all the usual protocols. I apologize in advance.

I have two old Nikons that use film along with an assortment of Nikkor lens for them. I'd like to get a digital, such as the D80. If I can use my old lens, I'll only need to purchase the camera body. But I haven't yet found a clear, unequivocal answer as to whether I can use my old AF Nikkor lens on the D80.

Can someone please help me out?

To add a bit to Jerry's post...

First, I believe that the mount actually goes back to the late fifties.

Second, be reminded that the D80 has a smaller frame than your old film Nikons. The Field of View (FoV) for any lens (including new ones that you buy today) will be the same as you had been used to for a lens with a focal length 50% longer. For example, a 50mm lens will have a FoV comparable to a 75mm lens on a 35mm camera.

Additional explanatory info is here:
http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bi...2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PWR4&p_li=&p_topview=1

That's interesting, Socrates. And thanks for the link.

Fortunately, in the 50's, all I had to worry about was mastering my Brownie box camera. :)

Socrates and I have kinda dated ourselves... lol

If I can use my old lens, I'll only need to purchase the camera body. But I haven't yet found a clear, unequivocal answer as to whether I can use my old AF Nikkor lens on the D80.
yes you most certainly can

All 1986 and newer AF or AF-D lenses will work great on the D80 with metering and autofocus support. Just beware of the crop factor as Socrates explained, and the narrower angle of views. That's actually a pretty good explanation, better than most of the Google hits that the crop factor link in my signature goes to. If you had any wide angle lenses, they won't be nearly as wide anymore. But your telephotos will get even longer. Digital is great for tele shooters, but not so good for wideangle. I have the 10.5mm DX fisheye which is specifically designed for the smaller sensors, so I'm pretty happy.

Don't let the salesperson talk you into a D40, D40x, or D60 though. These are the first cameras from Nikon that do not support autofocusing with the older AF/AF-D lenses. For someone with a collection of older AF/D lenses, that would be an issue, but not so much for those just starting out fresh.

Thanks, Mav. That sounds pretty reassuring.

My lenses were bought for a 6006 (later supplemented by an N70) that I purchased around 1990. The lenses are all AF Nikkor, except for one Tamron AF 24-70mm with a compatible mount.

Most reactions

Back