Lenses for Zoo photography

David8

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all, I have a small soft spot for tigers and lions and all other big cats. I will be getting a chance in the next few weeks to get to a zoo (first chance since getting the camera). And I want to know what gear I need to get photos I'll be happy with. I have a nikon d3100 and the 18-55 and 55-200 mm lenses. But I'm not sure this zoom will be enough. Last time I was at a zoo, the tigers got right up to the glass, and I got some great shots on my phone. But I don't want to count on them being overly friendly. I've been looking at some 70-300 mm lenses by nikon, sigma, tamron and tokina for around the $300 AUD price bracket. Is there a standout between these brands? Or anything else I should consider around the same price? Obviously, I'd prefer a lens with an inbuilt focus motor, but I could live without it, and just focus manually if it means saving a lot of money.

Tl;dr what lens to photograph tigers at a zoo?

They are all in a similar class IQ wise. With the exception of the Nikon, the others have a built-in focus motor and macro switch available. The Nikon with a built in motor would be the Nikon 70-300mm AF-S VR ED which costs US$589. Another alternative is the 55-300mm AF-S VR ED DX at US$399. The Nikon without a focus motor is the 70-300mm AF-G. Do note that the image and build quality of the more expensive Nikon lenses I've mentioned are significantly better than the rest.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back