Lenses Lenses Lenses... D80 question

boclcown

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm planning on purchasing a D80 in the future (whenever I save up the needed cash) and have been considering a slew of options for my lenses. I will barely be able to raise the needed 1,000, let along an additional 300 for insurance, and possibly another 100 for an SD card, possible an additional 100 for a good tripod. That leaves me with the prediciment of having to go with the basic kit lens, rather than the 18 - 135 lens that can come with the D80, for about $300 more.

Is the 18-135 worth the extra quid? I'm sure I will want to upgrade from the 18-55 lens, but is it something that can wait?

The AF-S DX 18 - 135 mm F3.5 - F5.6G ED (27 - 202.5 mm equiv. FOV, 7.5x zoom) is obviously a very versatile lens. You do pay twice for that, though: 1) it's a darn expensive lens, and 2) its maximum aperture is decidedly less than impressive, strongly limiting its DoF possibilities.

The D80 is a semi-pro dSLR that needs quality glass to realize its potential. Yes, that's expensive, but it goes with the territory.
A D80 with a cheap lens on it is a waste of the D80's capabilities.

The insurance figure rather blows me away.

At any rate I always advise getting the shortest zoom range possible. All lens designs are compromises and corrections. The wider the zoom range, the greater the compromises and corrections in other areas of lens performance - speed, corner sharpness, light fall off and so on.

What I would recommend is getting a D50 instead then choosing a lens that is really better than either of the ones you are considering. It is the lens, after all that forms the image. Besides cameras become obselete quickly and lenses do not. These are the lenses I use with my D50

nikondx4_1.jpg

Do all lenses come with lens hoods, or is that sold seperately? It seems like a simple piece of plastic to me...

boclcown said:
Do all lenses come with lens hoods,
Yes.
or is that sold seperately?
That too, but you'll probably have to order it and wait (weeks?) for delivery.
It seems like a simple piece of plastic to me...
'Simple piece' is correct. But it's often made of light metal (aluminum alloy).
However 'simple' it is, though, its function and precise dimensions are very important to reduce glare and flare.
If it's too short you'll get more glare and flare. If its too long your images will be vignetted. That's why the hood supplied with the lens is the perfect hood for that lens.

fmw said:
What I would recommend is getting a D50 instead then choosing a lens that is really better than either of the ones you are considering. It is the lens, after all that forms the image. Besides cameras become obselete quickly and lenses do not. These are the lenses I use with my D50

I would make the same recommendation. If $$ is an issue, get a less expensive body and get some quality glass first. You'll do better with pro glass on a D50/D70 than you will with cheap glass on a D80/D200. Put your money into lenses first, you can always use them as you upgrade the body.

So, even if I get the 18 - 55 kit lens, I should still expect a hood...

I understand that in your position, it makes more sense to invest in the lenses. However, I am in a tight position. This will probably be the only body I have for at least 5 years or so. I'd rather go with a newer version with plenty of pixels, and many updated features and save up for nicer lenses as time passes by.

Though, I'm not sure how long a digital body will really stay usable... I mean, I can't imagine that the 10 mp D80 will ever be so out of date that I couldn't make use of the pictures.

Unless you are making huge enlargements get a D50 and better glass. You won't regret it.

LWW

I was thinking about it, and it my make sense to go with the kit 18-55, and instead of spending an extra 300 for the slightly nicer lense, I'll plunk down 100 for a 50mm 1.8 prime. It would give the ability for a zoom capability if necesary, but the prime would give me the quality photos that even the 18-135 couldn't...

What do you think?

boclcown said:
I was thinking about it, and it my make sense to go with the kit 18-55, and instead of spending an extra 300 for the slightly nicer lense, I'll plunk down 100 for a 50mm 1.8 prime. It would give the ability for a zoom capability if necesary, but the prime would give me the quality photos that even the 18-135 couldn't...

What do you think?

Have you owned an SLR before, boclown?

Nope....

Do I sound like I don't know what I am talking about? :lol:

boclcown said:
So you still got to find out what you like about photography in general, and about SLR's in particular. And what you don't like.
That requires personal, hands-on experience. Others' opinions are no substitutes for that. And it'll be a steep learning curve for a newbie SLR owner, anyway.
In your situation it's, imho, best to go with the D50 and kitzoom then. It's a very capable camera/lens combo. Versatile too. And it's the most affordable learning set. Or – should you not take to SLR photography for some reason – it'll be the least expensive mistake...

Now, if the fad is over and the bug really bites you, you'll upgrade to a pro SLR with L-type glass.
You're D50 with kitlens will be a capable backup system then. Even accepting your pro glass!

I mean, I can't imagine that the 10 mp D80 will ever be so out of date
Isn't that what you thought when 6 megapixels was the new standard . . . ?
(less than 2 years ago!)

Wisdom!

Most reactions

Back