Lenses to take

StreetShark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Soon I will be going to Germany and Poland on a school trip. We will be doing walking Tours of Berlin and Warsaw as well as Tours of Concentration camps and Museums. I plan on taking a 70-300mm IS lens for outdoor shots during the Walking tours and a 17-50mm F/2.8 for indoor and Concentration camp photos. What I am wonder is how is the lighting in the Concentration camps? I am guessing it is dark? Would a 50mm f/1.8 be more suitable? and is a 70-300mm to long for general outdoor use?

When shooting indoors your gonna wanna flash....

When shooting indoors your gonna wanna flash....
Maybe, but a 50mm 1.8 would do pretty well. Plus, a flash might might not be appreciated in such a emotionally charged place. I suggest fast glass over uninvited light. That way you can catch the levity of the experience without intruding.

1 word
monopod

Two words: image stabilization

Two more words: wide angle

That is to say, hand holding a wide angle, image stabilized lens will give best results.

I can handhold up to 1/2s with no noticable shake at 14mm with IS on, assuming I haven't been near the nose candy lately.

Auschwitz is probably the last place you'll want to take pictures; even just being there I felt an intruder. Your memories will be more powerful than any photograph; I'll guarantee you that.
Many museums have a 'no photography' or a 'no flash' policy. Check before you take pictures.

Maybe, but a 50mm 1.8 would do pretty well. Plus, a flash might might not be appreciated in such a emotionally charged place. I suggest fast glass over uninvited light. That way you can catch the levity of the experience without intruding.

'levity'-concentration/death camps?

I would hesitate to use flash in this situation, plus it may not be allowed, you 50mm 1.8 is probably the best bet, If there is enough light the 17-50 2.8 woul be nice for the wider end.

Although I would be courteous of other people there, pretty much every one is a tourist, many probably had relatives in the camp or involved with the war.

I work with a someone who was amoung the first American troops to liberate Auschwitz and although it is sometimes a tough thing to discuss, he along with many others who were there at the time agree, that it is important that we do take pictures and document what has happened there, so it will not fade into history. We need to keep these things somewhere in our minds, so we do not make the same mistakes again.

Just be respectful, and take picture as allowed.
-Ryan

Holy CRAP, I totally meant "gravity." :(

It is a very emotionally loaded and disturbing place, therefore,
out of respect for other visitors, I wouldn't use the flash even if
it is allowed.

You may have use for a wide angle.
I'd replace the extra f/stop with higher ISO, because of the very
shallow DOF at 1.8 or less.

Though it is important to never forget, at that place, taking pictures
is secondary to being there and to absorbing the horror of the
meticulously planned mass murder of men, women, children and
babies that took place there.

I agree with everyone who advised against using a flash. It's just not the right environment for it.

I think that the 50mm f1.8 will be fine if you do take photos there at all, though, as mentioned above, being there and absorbing it is most important.

For traveling, keep it light. You don't want to lug the heavy glass with you all day. Take the 50! Pick up a small collapsable tripod, one that will fit in your bag easily. Shoot longer exposures with the tripod and smaller f stops to get greater DOF. also longer exposures have a greater exposure latitude and a little easier to work with. When hand holding, the 50 will be more versatile and allow you to react faster in lower light. It will also allow smaller DOF for shots with more impact. For example at a concentration camp, tell the story of the place by focusing on a small symbol of the place that can evoke more of the story without showing it all, such as focusing on a lock, and blurring the rest of the shot. Just remember the worst picture is the one you don't take so SHOOT, SHOOT, SHOOT.

Most reactions

Back