lenses????

I'm not understanding what you are saying above. What's the point of buying something that you don't need or want, just to resell it. A better option is to just buy the body you want and the the lens that suits your needs.

I don't know much about Canon anymore (after my decision to go Nikon, I let all the other crap of information go), but I'm sure it holds true. With the advances in tecnology of dSLR's, the body is quickly outdated. This is good for the consumer because the price drops on the outdated/updated/replaced body. However, the lens *read Pro* will retain 90-95% of it's original price. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where the best value of your equipment should be spent.

That's why one of my suggestions was to buy a used body to start off with. Once you have really figured out the how's and what's functions of a dSLR, and this is a hobby that you have an absolute passion for, you can then make an educated decision on your upgrade. This will also add valuable brownie points towards your fathers concerns about your spending habits.

Two more thoughts. Buy the fastest CF card that your camera can take, and have a couple extra. Stick with a known brand like SanDisk, Lexar, etc. Look for rebate time. Another battery is also a good idea.

You can buy camera bodies without the lens included rather than try to sell the lens on (where you dad is probably closer to the price mark).
As for cards, I agree with Kundalini - the canon rebel cameras work fastest with Sandisk Extreme 3 cards and won't work any faster with faster cards (simple write speed limitation with the camera).
As for size I would go for a 4GB card - around 1000 JPEG shots and if/when you move to RAW shooting you can get a good 400ish shots.

And another battery is always good, but remember that effective battery management can help a lot of the time - the XT and XTi can go a whole day shooting on one battery because they don't have live view (which eats up battery power) and if you don't spend ages reviewing shots you can save on power.

I'm not understanding what you are saying above. What's the point of buying something that you don't need or want, just to resell it. A better option is to just buy the body you want and the the lens that suits your needs.

I don't know much about Canon anymore (after my decision to go Nikon, I let all the other crap of information go), but I'm sure it holds true. With the advances in tecnology of dSLR's, the body is quickly outdated. This is good for the consumer because the price drops on the outdated/updated/replaced body. However, the lens *read Pro* will retain 90-95% of it's original price. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where the best value of your equipment should be spent.

That's why one of my suggestions was to buy a used body to start off with. Once you have really figured out the how's and what's functions of a dSLR, and this is a hobby that you have an absolute passion for, you can then make an educated decision on your upgrade. This will also add valuable brownie points towards your fathers concerns about your spending habits.

Two more thoughts. Buy the fastest CF card that your camera can take, and have a couple extra. Stick with a known brand like SanDisk, Lexar, etc. Look for rebate time. Another battery is also a good idea.

Well I wolld but the lens and the body because I can buy the body and 28-135mm lens on Amazon for 1083. The cheapest 40d body I can find is $889. so if I buy the kit and sell the lens for $450 then I have only spent $633 which would be the cost of what I spent on the body which is much cheaper than a body only, that's why I would buy more and then sell it.

How fast are the ones you use?

You can buy camera bodies without the lens included rather than try to sell the lens on (where you dad is probably closer to the price mark).
As for cards, I agree with Kundalini - the canon rebel cameras work fastest with Sandisk Extreme 3 cards and won't work any faster with faster cards (simple write speed limitation with the camera).
As for size I would go for a 4GB card - around 1000 JPEG shots and if/when you move to RAW shooting you can get a good 400ish shots.

And another battery is always good, but remember that effective battery management can help a lot of the time - the XT and XTi can go a whole day shooting on one battery because they don't have live view (which eats up battery power) and if you don't spend ages reviewing shots you can save on power.
Ya I was thinking like 4gb, and the battery, I would probably not use live view and only turn it on to delete pictures and such, I think the batteries will take something like 1000 shots. I think I will probably try to get an extra battery since you can get them on adorama for like $20, so to me not running out of battery power is worth a lot! because if you don't have and power you might as well not have the camera which would be very costly. Do you know where I could get some used cf cards? they should be good as new used and a whole lot cheaper so I could afford lots more memory. Thanks guys

If you shoot RAW, then by all means get a 4GB card. ATM, SanDisk is running a rebate scheme on CF cards and Andorama is adding another 10% store credit to it. I think tonight (6/29/08) is the deadline for the rebate. I don't think the Canon XT(add suffix) supports the UDMA technology, so no need to go beyond Extreme III CF cards.

Each camera has it's limits on the amount of images per GB of card. I can only get 197 RAW images on a 4GB card, who knows / don't care how many JPEGS.

Still confused on your idea of buying something useless to you and then trying to resell it. Doesn't makes sense to me.

HaHA, you don't listen to anyone do you?

The lens is more important than the camera.

If you cant afford what I listed, then jut get the rebel xt body and the 70-200mm L lens.

You will sacrifice some, but will be able to take some amazing pictures.

If you shoot RAW, then by all means get a 4GB card. ATM, SanDisk is running a rebate scheme on CF cards and Andorama is adding another 10% store credit to it. I think tonight (6/29/08) is the deadline for the rebate. I don't think the Canon XT(add suffix) supports the UDMA technology, so no need to go beyond Extreme III CF cards.

Each camera has it's limits on the amount of images per GB of card. I can only get 197 RAW images on a 4GB card, who knows / don't care how many JPEGS.

Still confused on your idea of buying something useless to you and then trying to resell it. Doesn't makes sense to me.
Ya, I will check into the rebate thing in just a minute. I am buying the lens and then selling it because it's cheaper than buying the body alone.

HaHA, you don't listen to anyone do you?

The lens is more important than the camera.

If you cant afford what I listed, then jut get the rebel xt body and the 70-200mm L lens.

You will sacrifice some, but will be able to take some amazing pictures.

I do listen to people and my first choice would be the 40d but if I can't get it then I will most likely go with what you suggested because that looks like a really good lens for what I am doing.

Well I have always been into snapping pictures my whole life, just like everybody. But in the past couple of years I took a photography class at school and I have been taking pictures for stuff alot. I run track and I used my friends E-500 at one of our meets. He was really impressed with the shots I took, and it was my first time ever using an slr. I could take it to all the meets and I go to carshows all the time and I could take pictures there and really have lots of chances to improve on my pictures. I just feel that with a d40, it's not quite enough camera. He thinks I will get a camera and then soon afterward realize I didn't want that one and that I should have gotten another one. But even if the d40 is a better camera for me I wouldn't be happy with it because I want the 40d. Just my stubborness I guess. I guess another part is that I did earn the money, exept $400 which I got for my birthday towards a camera, so I think that it should be my say. I told him it's my money and if I want to "waste" it on someting bad it's my choice. But my dad doesn't get that.

Wasn't suggesting you get a D40.. I was just telling you what my plan was. I would much rather have a lower end body and a nice lens.. rather than it the other way around. Your picture has to pass through the lens before it ever gets to the body.

In my experiences I always stay away from refurbished electronics. I have had nothing but bad luck with them. Yeah they are warranted, but do you realize how much it sucks sending things back to the manufacturer over and over again? Plus, being refurbished, it will have almost no resale value.

In my experiences I always stay away from refurbished electronics. I have had nothing but bad luck with them. Yeah they are warranted, but do you realize how much it sucks sending things back to the manufacturer over and over again? Plus, being refurbished, it will have almost no resale value.

Oh really, I never even thought of the resell value of them, but that definately makes sense, I think maybe I will stay away from that, also since the 40d after selling the kit lens is just a little more $$ than the 30d

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back